Rice Krispies Treats with Homemade Marshmallow

While my next planned baking adventure is making the best bacon-chocolate cupcakes possible using your suggestions, first I carried on my new found love for homemade marshmallow and made a total classic: Rice Krispies Treats. A little butter + marshmallow + cereal = a gooey, sweet, fun dessert bar. They’re simple and easy to make. Adding the homemade marshmallow makes it a little more complicated, but still totally doable since the rest of the recipe is so simple.

I also realized that they make a great treat for Passover when you get sick of chocolate matzo (if you are Sephardic and eat rice).

The homemade marshmallow made them more gooey and vanilla-y. I stayed with the classic recipe, but look forward to modifying it in the future. My favorite addition is M&Ms (frozen, so they don’t melt). What do you like in your Rice Krispies Treats?

Rice Krispies Treats with Homemade Marshmallow

• 1 C cold water, divided in half
  • 1/2 C light corn syrup
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 2 t unflavored gelatin
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 3 T butter
  • 9-10 C Rice Krispies

Lightly grease a 13″x9″ baking dish.

In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 C cold water, corn syrup, sugar and pinch of salt. Whisk together over medium heat. Once sugar is dissolved, let sit unstirred until mixture reaches softball stage (around 235-240°F).

While sugar mixture is boiling, sprinkle gelatin over remaining 1/2 C cold water in a large, deep heatproof bowl (a stand mixer bowl is perfect for this). Let stand for about 1 minute, until it softens. Beat this at medium speed.

Once sugar mixture reaches softball stage, remove from heat and carefully pour into gelatin, avoiding the beaters and sides of the bowl. Immediately begin mixing on high speed, for 5-8 minutes, until mixture increases in volume and turns white and thick. Add vanilla and beat for a minute more.

While the marshmallow mixture is being mixed, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add marshmallow to melted butter and mix together. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies, one cup at a time, mixing thoroughly to ensure all pieces are coated. Press evenly into a greased 9 1/2″ x 13″ casserole dish and allow to cool for 1-2 hours.

15 Responses to “Rice Krispies Treats with Homemade Marshmallow”
  1. Angela writes:

I love adding some peanut butter and melted chocolate! Sometimes separately, sometimes both at the same time! I’ve been wanting to make my own marshmallows for some time now, so seeing this recipe is making me want to do it sooner rather than later!

Peanut butter and chocolate – yum! I’ve never tried that but it sounds like a great idea.

3. gargupie writes:

It’s interesting that you add gelatin to it. Did you invent this? :)

No, I wish! It’s a basic marshmallow recipe, which almost always have gelatin in them. It’s a lot better (IMO) than store-bought marshmallow – gooey, fluffy and smooth.

5. Dina writes:

great idea!

Thanks Dina!

7. Lisa writes:

I have read that using homemade marshmallows has a tendency to make the rice crispies take on a stale-like, less crispy texture. Did you notice any difference in the texture when you made them?

Hmm, I do remember them seeming a little stale, but I was using really old Rice Krispies so I chalked it up to that. I will have to try making them again soon and test out this theory.

9. Jessica writes:

I’m very exited to try this recipe! I love that I won’t have to make the marshmallows first and let them sit overnight! I do have a questions though. I don’t see the amount of rice krispies needed in the ingredient list. Can you please tell me how many cups of rice krispies to use?

@Jessica – wow, I can’t believe I forgot to include that crucial ingredient! I just updated the recipe with the butter and cereal amounts. Thanks for pointing out my mistake :)

11. Darlene writes:

I am making these and wonder if they can be frozen for future use? My hubby’s a teacher and I would love to make these for him to take to work each day – but on the side of the cereal box it says they should be eaten within a day. Thoughts?
    Darlene recently posted I Took His Hand and Followed

@Darlene – I’ve never tried freezing them myself. I think if you store them in an air-tight container they should keep for 1-2 weeks. If you don’t want to waste an entire batch, I would try freezing one or two bars and see what happens. Let me know how it goes – I’m really curious now!

13. Mischka writes:

Wow, sounds delicious! I randomly googled ‘goey marshmallow treats’ and found this! Hehe, congrats, it was at the top! – POPULAR SITE :D
    I’d love to try this but unfortunately I don’t fancy making a mess in the kitchen! I’ll try it someday though, don’t you worry!

14. Eric writes:

When you add the marshmallow to the butter, do you melt the marshmallow so that all the air is gone or do you just combine the butter and marshmallow. When I made them the other day, I let the marshmallows set and then melted them. I like skipping the step of letting them set, but was curious what would happen if you tried to make the treats with marshmallow goo that still had all the air in it.

15. Sara writes:

I made these and they did make the rice crispies taste stale. Which is unfortunate because the flavor of the homemade marshmallows was AWESOME… Any suggestions?!