Baked Kale Chips

Baked kale chips made the rounds on food blogs last spring, and I made them once and promptly forgot about them. Recently, after finishing a bag of Sun Chips in less than 24 hours (between 2 people, but still), I was at the farmer’s market and noticed kale at a lot of stands. Light bulb!

This is so simple that it barely qualifies as a recipe. It’s an incredibly easy and fairly quick way to make a healthy snack. I’m not sure if your kids will be willing to eat them, but if you can get them to try, they’re actually really good. Once baked, the pieces of kale become crispy, crunchy little chips that fall apart in your mouth. Plus, you can season them with your favorite flavors, which easily mask the fairly neutral kale flavor. I use kosher salt and some cayenne pepper for a bit of a kick.

Which spices would you put on kale chips?

Spicy Baked Kale Chips

• 1 bunch kale
  • ~1 T olive oil
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Rinse the kale and dry. Rip the leaves into large pieces, discarding the tough center ribs and stems. Toss with olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Place in one layer on a baking sheet and bake for around 20 minutes, or until crispy.

9 Responses to “Baked Kale Chips”
  1. Dani writes:

I have to try making these again! Last time, I didn’t so much toss them in olive oil as drizzle it on them when they were on the baking sheet, and they flattened out in the oven and pretty much just boiled in the oil. Not tasty OR crisp!

2. Dani writes:

(And by “drizzle” I mean “pour”.)

3. sensiblecooking writes:

This is my kind of recipe for lazy weekends.

4. Tiffany writes:

My sister SWEARS by kale chips with nutritional yeast! I would love to make them with chili and brown sugar. Mmmmmm :D

Dani – that’s a good point; too much olive oil = soggy leaves, not crisp. Definitely try again – when done with less oil, it’s amazing how they crumble in your mouth. It’s not like a veggie at all!

Tiffany – great ideas for seasonings! I didn’t think of nutritional yeast but I have some in my pantry. I’ll try that next time!

6. torviewtoronto writes:

delicious and healthy chips lovely colour

7. Treat and Trick writes:

Fast to cook and nutritious too! Regarding the fruit cake, it is a great idea to replace some of the flour with whole wheat, will try this next time…

8. Marea Davis writes:

Fantastic!! I adore kale. I’ve been using it in my salads a lot lately but always have extra that I can’t seem to use in time. This is the perfect solution.

Thank You!