Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie

My number 1 craving while I wasn’t eating sugar was chocolate. I made an awesome chocolate chickpea cake and cupcakes, but those were gone pretty quickly. I came up with an even healthier substitute: a chocolate raspberry smoothie with no added sugar.

It’s a simple combo of yogurt, milk, frozen raspberries and cocoa powder. The result is a decadent, thick, chocolaty and just barely sweet smoothie. In fact, you may find you need to add a sweetener or a sweeter fruit, especially if your raspberries aren’t particularly sweet.

This makes me want more smoothies. What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?

Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie

• 1/2 C plain yogurt (I used Greek)
  • 1/4-1/2 C milk
  • 1/2 C frozen raspberries
  • 1 T cocoa powder
  • Optional: banana or honey or agave to sweeten it up

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor, starting with 1/4 cup of milk. Blend until smooth and add more milk if too thick. Add optional ingredients if it’s not sweet enough.

25 Responses to “Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie”
  1. Monet writes:

I can’t do smoothies unless it is really warm outside, but I’m saving this recipe for the summer! I love the combination of chocolate and raspberries :-) Thank you for sharing such a great concoction. My favorite smoothie is peanut butter banana!

2. Dani writes:

LOL on the “barely sweet”. Maybe in summer it’ll be sweeter. Have you tried two-ingredient frozen banana ice cream with unsweetened cocoa added?

3. Amy writes:

I will have to try this smoothie! The combination of flavors sounds wonderful, and refreshing as well as satisfying to a sweet craving!
    Amy recently posted Winter Road Shortbread

Monet – it’s been unseasonably warm here, so a smoothie totally worked. Usually in February I wouldn’t think about making a smoothie either! PB & choc sounds delicious.

Dani – yeah, fresh raspberries in season would probably be sweeter. Yes, I’ve tried that but totally forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me.

Amy – definitely refreshing and satisfying. It was super thick and decadent made with Greek yogurt.

5. torviewtoronto writes:

beautiful and delicious I like the addition of cocoa

6. Wheels writes:

Jamba Juice had a Peanut Butter Moo’d that had chocolate base, froyo, sorbet and peanut butter and was amaaaazing. Can you come up with one that’s healthier? :) Oh the Jamba version had bananas but I always subbed them out.

Wheels – oooh I like a good challenge! I’m on it, will let you know what I come up with…

8. Magic of Spice writes:

I just love this and so easy :) Great combo of flavors…have a great weekend
    Magic of Spice recently posted Guest Post By Denise Fletcher- Oeuf Cocotte aux Champignons

9. Leanne writes:

love this idea! i think i’ll try it out tonight. thanks for sharing :)
    Leanne recently posted Marshmallow Creme-Filled Cupcakes

10. Cakewhiz writes:

That looks so refreshing and healthy too. Lovely presentation with those three berries in the centre!
    Cakewhiz recently posted How to make homemade confetti sprinkles

11. Katrina writes:

Oh i will be making this today! YUM! Sending some buzz your way!! :)
    Katrina recently posted Blogging is Good for Your Self Esteem

12. Paula writes:

I can`t stop looking at this! It`s absolutely divine and I want to try this…

Have a great time,
    Paula
    Paula recently posted Gotowana Babka z Patelni Delimano

13. Lauren writes:

I am attempting to eat less sugar as well, and my inner sugaraholic is definitely drawn to this delicious-looking smoothie! Chocolate and raspberry is such a classic flavor combination, and I can’t believe I’ve never had a smoothie that features it. I must make this soon!
    Lauren recently posted 100 Whole Wheat Anadama Bread

14. Baking Serendipity writes:

This looks so, so good! I love the balance of healthy and indulgent and smoothies are one of my favorite ways to start the day :)
    Baking Serendipity recently posted Super Bowl Snacks

15. Christine @ Nourish the Budding Lotus writes:

This looks delicious! I love desserts that satisfy my sweet tooth without the unnecessary added sugars. Yum!
    Christine @ Nourish the Budding Lotus recently posted Review – Real Food Nation

16. Kristen writes:

Putting cocoa in a smoothie is brilliant. I can just imagine how great it tastes.
    Kristen recently posted Your Recipe- My Kitchen- Greek Style Potato Stew

17. Sommer@ASPicyPerspective writes:

What a great idea! I find that sometimes you get the most creative when on restriction.
    Sommer@ASPicyPerspective recently posted Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes! XOXO

18. Kristi Rimkus writes:

I have a Magic Bullet that I use every day. I love these sweet and healthy smoothie. Who wouldn’t think they were eating a treat!

Kristi
    Kristi Rimkus recently posted Impress Your Dinner Guests With Steak and Blue Cheese Stacks

19. Smoothie: Chocolate-Raspberry | Flotsam and Jetsam writes:

[…] smoothie is inspired by the very simple recipe at 52 Kitchen Adventures. Naturally, I made changes, but they were subtle […]

20. Cold Treats to Beat the Heat writes:

[…] Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie – I love this idea!  Raspberry and chocolate go so well together, and this smoothie looks like a […]

21. Paula S writes:

Where do you recommend purchasing cocoa powder from (preferably online)? I live in Canada and the only place I’ve found it is whole foods which is very expensive.

Thanks!
    Paula S recently posted Double Green Smoothie

22. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Hi Paula, I’m not familiar with which websites will ship to Canada, but I’ve had luck finding baking ingredients on Amazon. I love Scharffen Berger cocoa, so I would try Googling that with “ship to Canada” or something similar. Good luck!

23. Andrew writes:

Add sugar and less cocoa powder

24. 40+ Chocolate Raspberry Recipes | theBitterSideofSweet writes:

[…] Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie […]

25. Serena writes:

I love making healthy smoothies and I am always looking for ones that have ingredients that I have on hand, this is deff one!