Cheesecake Truffles

When I gave up on my month without sugar, it was largely due to a goat cheese cheesecake at a San Francisco restaurant. Goat cheese in a cheesecake sounded too amazing to miss out, so I gave up 2 days early. It was worth it, and I knew immediately that I wanted to recreate the dessert at home.

I tried this Goat Cheese Cake recipe from Food & Wine, adding a graham cracker crust and baking it in a springform pan. In hindsight, I should have realized this wasn’t supposed to be a traditional cheesecake recipe (most others I saw used 1/2 goat cheese and 1/2 cream cheese, while this one was all goat cheese and baked in a cake pan). The cake came out way too browned, especially on the sides, and all around kind of ugly. So what do you do with an ugly cheesecake?

Scoop it into balls, roll them in the broken up graham cracker crust, dip them into chocolate and make cheesecake truffles! I had some sticks leftover from my marshmallow pops, so a few ended up as cheesecake pops. Either way, they were rich and decadent bites of happiness. I also recommend sprinkling on some of your favorite sprinkles to add some color and a nice crunch.

Cheesecake Truffles

• 1 cheesecake
  • 12 oz. chocolate
  • 2 oz. canola oil
  • Around 1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
  • Multi-colored jimmies (optional)

Line an even surface with wax paper. Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop (or just a spoon) scoop out the cheesecake and form little balls. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, melt chocolate and canola oil over a double boiler. Remove cheesecake balls from freezer and roll in graham cracker crumbs. Dip them in the melted chocolate, coating evenly, then place on wax paper. Sprinkle with jimmies if desired. Let harden and refrigerate until serving.

35 Responses to “Cheesecake Truffles”
  1. Wheels writes:

Is there a difference between jimmies and salt? Also where did you eat that? Yum!

2. LauraT writes:

yummo! you can go ahead and just mail me your extras :)

Wheels – jimmies are a nickname for sprinkles. I had the cheesecake at Zaré at Fly Trap, I think it was in SOMA. The food was good, especially the meat entrees.

4. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom writes:

I still haven’t tried cake pops and now you’re going to make me leap-frog over them to make these cheesecake lovelies. Oh okay, I’ll do it!
    Angela@RecipesFromMyMom recently posted Raising a child that cooks

Angela – I actually haven’t tried cake pops either! I’ve done marshmallow pops and now the cheesecake ones. Eventually I’ll make them but so far I’ve been pretty happy with my choices :)

6. Elyse @The Cultural Dish writes:

This is such a great idea! I’ve made cake balls but never thought to use cheesecake. Love it!
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish recently posted Traditional Irish Soda Bread

7. In Katrina's Kitchen writes:

Oh yum! I’m working on a cheesecake truffle thing…still experimenting. Yours look CUTE!!! ♥- Katrina
    In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted Homemade Girl Scout Cookies – Thin Mints!

8. Lindsey at Burn Me Not writes:

Oh yum! These look delectably scrumptious. :)
    Lindsey at Burn Me Not recently posted Funfetti Cupcakes

9. Jennifer (Delicieux) writes:

What a great idea! These look so cute! Would you believe I’ve still never had a cake pop? I might have to change that.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted Pumpkin- Feta- Chili &amp Onion Turkish Pide

10. laura writes:

wow, this looks amazing. literally blown away
    laura recently posted Marital Bliss

11. Joy writes:

The look beautiful. Good job.
    Joy recently posted I Almost Got It

12. Magic of Spice writes:

Oh wow with goat cheese, how perfect. These Cake pops are glorious :)
    Magic of Spice recently posted Whats on the side Mac n Cheese on a Date

13. All That I'm Eating writes:

What a great idea to use an ‘ugly’ cheesecake up! They’d be fantastic for a dinner party on a stick like in your top picture. I might start covering everything in chocolate and putting it on a stick…what could go wrong?!

14. Tiffany writes:

Goat cheese cheesecake!?!?!? SUPER cool! And these pops look wonderful!
    Tiffany recently posted Colorful Couscous

15. Julie M. writes:

Mmmmm. Chocolate, cheesecake and jimmies for good measure? Sign me up. That looks like a fabulous way to handle an imperfect cheesecake!

16. Dina @ The Dish and The Dirt writes:

Oooh, where did you go in San Francisco that you had the goat cheese cheesecake? I live in SF and go out all the time (doing food reviews), so I’d love to put another place on the ol’ reservation list. The pics look great too — I can never get such a clean coating of chocolate on my cake pops. I’ve heard shortening works, but I’m going to try using canola.

17. Konstant Kraver writes:

Wow these look so cute and yummy I would probably not want to share these …keep them all to my self! :)
    Konstant Kraver recently posted Mama J Oreo Peanut butter Fudge!

18. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen writes:

TOP 9!!! AWESOME!! ♥- Katrina

19. dyingforchocolate writes:

Fabulous. Sorry the cheesecake didn’t work out, but what a great improv!

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I’m excited that this made the Top 9!

Dina – I had the cheesecake at Zaré at Fly Trap. The food was good, especially the meat entrees and I definitely recommend the goat cheese cheesecake!

21. Sherry @JustAPinch writes:

Had these a week ago for the first time. They’re so addictive! A great party idea. Thank you for the recipe!

22. Hester aka The Chef Doc writes:

Haha, what an innovative idea! I’m totally intrigued about this goat cheese cheesecake now!
    Hester aka The Chef Doc recently posted Walnut Pesto

23. Emma writes:

These sound delicious! I’m actually not a big fan of the whole cake pops thing (lovely idea in theory, usually dissapointing in reality) but I cheesecake? Lush!

24. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking writes:

These are so adorable and simple! You have a beautiful blog :) I’m looking forward to exploring your recipes!

25. Wheels writes:

You got 24 comments? So proud!!!

26. Liz writes:

I’ve never made any sort of “pops,” but I’m truly tempted by your version…what a fabulous way to enjoy cheesecake…especially one that’s not so pretty! Great save…your pops are gorgeous!
    Liz recently posted Savory Cheese and Chive Bread

27. Julie writes:

Great Aperature CONTROL of the camera! These lollipop cheesecakes will be perfect to serve at parties. Thanks for sharing! Julie
    Julie recently posted Almond Sponge Cake

28. Heidi writes:

First of all, your cheesecake pops and balls are gorgeous! I love the contrast of the sprinkles on the chocolate. I make cake pops but I have yet to delve into the world of cheesecake pops. I think my main problem is that whenever I make a cheesecake my husband devours it before I have a chance to do anything else with it; it’s his favorite. That being said, I don’t mean to sound petty, but I have a small correction to make.

Let’s talk sprinkles. I have what I call a bit of a sprinkle habit. I currently have over 30 different kinds of sprinkles, there’s always room for more, and I consider myself a bit of a self-proclaimed authority on them. The sprinkles in your photos, as beautiful as they are, are not jimmies. They are nonpareils. The for main types of “sprinkles” are nonpareils, jimmies, quins, and sanding sugar. Jimmies are the long skinny ones that you often see on ice cream, quins are the ones you see in all the cute shapes and sanding sugar is, well, sugar, which can be fine or coarse and usually in fun, bright sugars

Heidi- wow thanks for all the info! I had no idea. I will edit the post and change the name of the sprinkles.

30. Mama Kelly aka Jia writes:

Oh my!! These look dangerously delicious!
    Mama Kelly aka Jia recently posted Tomato Basil Salad

31. Emily writes:

These truffles look so yummy!

32. Kimberli writes:

Looks tasty!! When you’re in NYC, check out the signature Cheesecake Lollipops at David Burke Townhouse (highly recommended as a Sat or Sun brunch prix fixe.) http://www.davidburketownhouse.com/menu_dessert.html

They present them in a metal tree. The kids and adults alike adore them!!
    They also roll the dipped cheesecake in nuts and chocolate bits. YUM!!

Thanks for sharing!!

33. hannah writes:

they look amazing! yay, you did make it!! btw, what the heck do you do with all these desserts you make?!

34. Eftychia writes:

What a delicious dessert!! Thanks for sharing!

35. Chocolate Chip Cookies with Brown Butter & Coconut | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] This is the second time I’ve recently had a mistake turn into something even better than what I had planned (the first time was when an ugly cheesecake that turned into amazing cheesecake truffles and pops). […]