Slow Cooker Monday: Sweet & Sour Beans

This week’s Crockpot recipe isn’t the prettiest thing in the world but it tastes better than it looks. I was originally going to make Boston baked beans, but then I came upon a recipe for sweet and sour beans from Taste of Home that caught my eye. Combining sweet and sour flavors naturally makes me think of sweet and sour pork and other meat dishes, but it worked well for the beans too. This is a great side dish you can set aside and let cook while you prepare the main dish.

Slow Cooker Slow and Sour Beans

Adapted from Taste of Home

• 3 bacon strips
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/3 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 C cider vinegar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t ground mustard
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and let cool slightly on paper towels, then dice. In the meantime, drain majority of bacon drippings, leaving 2 tablespoons in skillet. Cook onion in reserved drippings until tender, then add brown sugar, cider vinegar, salt, ground mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.

In a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker, combine both types of beans with onion mixture and diced bacon. Mix together, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours (until heated through).

8 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Sweet & Sour Beans”
  1. LauraT writes:

yum, I’ve made a cooking light slow cooker recipe for beans that was really tasty. very similar to this one except it had ketchup in it.

2. tinytearoom writes:

you are right. it isn’t the prettiest thing in the world, but judging from the ingredient list it would be the tastiest thing in the world
    tinytearoom recently posted Mini Sticky Date Loaf with Golden Syrup Butter

3. All That I'm Eating writes:

I think it looks delicious. It makes you want to get your fork in and try all the flavours. It sounds lovely.
    All That I’m Eating recently posted Easter Biscuits

4. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

I’m marking this recipe to try for next Monday – but without the bacon so I can combine Slow Cooker Monday with Meatless Monday :)

5. Lauren at Keep It Sweet writes:

These look delicious! I am making this asap!!

6. daksha writes:

Stephanie you done this beans beautifully:) looks delicious.

7. Kelly writes:

Mmmm I love finding new recipes for my slow cooker and this is no exception! Can’t wait to try this myself, thanks for sharing! Loving your blog :)

8. Magic of Spice writes:

Love these types of slow cooked beans…delicious!
    Magic of Spice recently posted Whats for dinner Ginger-Lavender and Spring Vegetable Soup