Chocolate Chip Cookies with Brown Butter & Coconut

These amazing cookies weren’t planned. They were more like cookie mistakes, but were still loved and appreciated like a planned cookie. Maybe even more, because they brought unexpected delight to many lives.

Let me explain. I, being lazy and impatient, wanted butter to soften quickly for a different cookie recipe. I put a stick on the tray of my toaster oven, on its lowest heat setting. And then forgot about it. I ran into the kitchen 10 minutes later and found a puddle where my stick had been. Not had it only melted, but it had cooked for so long, it began to brown. What am I going to do with brown butter? I thought. Certainly not my original recipe, which needed only slightly softened butter. Not intending to waste an entire stick of butter, I used my Google skills to secure an amazing cookie recipe from Joy the Baker.

She takes the classic chocolate chip cookie and kicks it up a notch with brown butter and toasted coconut. The cookies are crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, with a more intense flavor and nutty notes from the brown butter. Check out the recipe here. I promise you won’t be sorry!

This is the second time I’ve recently had a mistake turn into something even better than what I had planned (the first time was when an ugly cheesecake that turned into amazing cheesecake truffles and pops).

Have you ever had a cooking mistake turn into something even more delicious?

10 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookies with Brown Butter & Coconut”
  1. hannah writes:

great idea! i love the crunch with soft insides.. definitely will make!

2. Tiffany writes:

This happens to me ALL the time! I’m so glad everything worked out! Sounds delish! I love toasted coconut!

3. Steph@stephsbitebybite writes:

I think I need to give brown butter a try! Your cookies have my sweet tooth flairing right now!!
    Steph@stephsbitebybite recently posted FFwD- Bistrot Paul Bert Pepper Steak

4. torviewtoronto writes:

yummy looking chocolate chip cookies

5. Sandra writes:

Waste not want not! Good save.
    Sandra recently posted DB Challenge – Maple Mousse In Edible Container

6. Jennifer (Delicieux) writes:

I think sometimes the best recipes come from accidents, and these cookies look absolutely delicious.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted Roast Butternut Pumpkin- Spinach &amp Barley Risotto

7. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

I only wished all the mistakes I made would/could have turned into such a lovely treat!
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Ramsons Pesto with Wholewheat Spaghetti

8. Peggy writes:

Oooh yum! I love browned butter in baked goods! I definitely need to try these cookies out soon!

9. Liz writes:

Oh, yeah, I’m all for these cookies!!! I’ve made chocolate chip cookies with browned butter…and the family approved…but adding coconut sure kicks them up a notch! How yummy!!!
    Liz recently posted Sun-dried Tomato- Pesto and Cream Cheese Terrines

10. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

I love it when a mistake works out. In fact, I am pretty sure that that is how cooking evolves! These cookies look pretty darned good!
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Boozy Eton Mess – A Celebration of Summer!