Homemade BBQ Sauce

Here’s our 3rd condiment: BBQ sauce. I think that the 1st two condiments, homemade ketchup and ranch dressing, are pretty American, and now that I think about it, isn’t BBQ sauce too? Are we obsessed with condiments in this country?

Anyway, while BBQ sauce isn’t quite as versatile as ketchup (in my opinion), it definitely has its purpose and it is irreplaceable. Of course it’s perfect for grilling, and you can use it for pulled pork (or for that matter, pulled chicken). It’s also great as a dip for French fries.

Adjust this recipe to your tastes. You can make it more or less spicy or sweet depending on how you like your BBQ sauce. Don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with it!

If you’re from another country, what condiments do you use? If you’re American, what’s your favorite condiment?

Homemade BBQ Sauce

• 2 C ketchup
  • 1/8 C apple cider vinegar
  • 6 T brown sugar
  • 1 T honey
  • 2 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 t Tapatio
  • 1/2 t smoked paprika
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/8 t chili powder
  • 1/8 t cayenne pepper
  • Pinch of ground cumin

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and add more spices, sugar or vinegar to achieve desired flavor. Store tightly sealed in fridge for up to a month.

10 Responses to “Homemade BBQ Sauce”
  1. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts writes:

I love homemade BBQ sauce. It is so easy, and so much better than the bottle~
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted Monthiversary!

I agree with you Erin! I love how easy it is and you can adjust the ingredients to make the perfect flavor.

3. BestOodles writes:

I love homemade BBQ sauce. I am sure this will go well with my easy & fast semi BBQ baby back ribs in later post.
    BestOodles recently posted Stir fry Sweet Pea Leaves

4. Sandra writes:

The Mr. is the grill master and I’m going to share this recipe with him. Love the spices!
    Sandra recently posted Strawberry Dinner Smoothie

5. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs writes:

I have been wanting to try to make my own BBQ sauce so thanks for the recipe. I like the idea that I can play around with the sweetness and spice to get a more suitable flavor that my family will enjoy.
    Felice – All That’s Left Are The Crumbs recently posted To Try Tuesday – Honey Buttermilk Bread

6. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

That’s a great bbq sauce. Thanks for sharing it!
    Angie
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Chiffon with Dulce De Leche Whipped Cream and Blueberries

7. Peggy writes:

I love playing around with different bbq sauce variations! This looks fantastic!
    Peggy recently posted Springtime Salsa

8. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

Worcestershire sauce is a great ‘secret ingredient’ in any bbq sauce. I love your version – it looks really thick – perfect for clinging to bbq’d ribs. Great flavours with the honey and cider vinegar. Now if only it would stop raining… :)
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted My Bread – well- it’s Jim Lahey’s bread really

9. Tiffany writes:

mustard is my fav… hands down. or maybe it’s hot sauce. yes, hot sauce! :D
    Tiffany recently posted Mexican Shepherd’s Pie

10. Hugz writes:

Great recipe. Can’t wait to try it. Had to google what Tapatio is though. I’m from Australia and probably the most common condiment is Tomato Sauce (aka Ketchup). I don’t think I have a favourite. Most have their place. Mustard on steaks, pork or a cheese toasty, Kajup manis on chicken strips and nuggets, bbq sauce on ribs. I really don’t understand the fascination with mayonaise or ranch dressing. Blergh!