Homemade Honey Mustard

First, there was ketchup. Then came homemade ranch dressing. Oh, and BBQ sauce. As much as I love condiments, I think this will be my last one for a while. My fridge has been full of bowls and jars and tupperware of various spreads, and I’d like to free up some room for something else. Like lots and lots of strawberries. And produce from my friend’s garden (I currently have an entire crisper full of fava beans – stay tuned for a recipe soon).

That is, unless someone has fantastic they really want me to try. I’m always up for suggestions and you guys always have really good ones. But for now, here is some homemade honey mustard to satisfy your homemade condiment craving.

It is shockingly easy and quick to make and actually a bit spicy too (reduce the white pepper if you want a mild version). I intended to do regular mustard, but wanted to make it out of what I had on hand, which was dry mustard but no mustard seeds. Plus, honey mustard is a favorite of mine anyway, so it worked out well.

What’s your favorite condiment?

Homemade Honey Mustard

If you don’t want it to be spicy at all, reduce the amount of white pepper

• 1/2 C dry mustard
  • 1/4 C honey
  • 1/2 C white vinegar
  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t allspice
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t ground white pepper

Place all ingredient in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens (this only takes a few minutes). Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few months.

10 Responses to “Homemade Honey Mustard”
  1. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

Oooh this looks so delish, I never knew it was so easy to do. I think I might even have all these ingredients in my kitchen.
    Lindsey@Lindselicious recently posted Oven Fried Cauliflower- an Ode to Spice Table

2. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

I am a fan of homemade dressings. This looks really tasty.
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Spinach Taglierini with Eggplants and Tomatoes

3. Hester aka The Chef Doc writes:

Ooh, I didn’t know that honey mustard was a cooked condiment. I kept squeezing honey into some regular mustard. I must try this! Thanks for sharing :-)
    Hester aka The Chef Doc recently posted Spring Roll Smackdown- Dat Thanh vs Brodard

4. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

Great condiment series. My favourites is horseradish sauce. I have most of the ingredients so will give this a go as love honey mustard.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted My Bread – well- it’s Jim Lahey’s bread really

5. Peggy writes:

Oooh… I never thought honey mustard would be this easy to make! Love all the great condiments! =)
    Peggy recently posted Springtime Salsa

6. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom writes:

I’m wondering where to find a large quantity of dry mustard. The little containers on the spice shelf at my grocery story are only about 2 oz.
    Angela@RecipesFromMyMom recently posted Crepes

Angela – try http://www.myspicesage.com. They have a huge selection of spices at decent prices and you can choose anywhere from 2 oz. to much bigger bottles.

8. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time writes:

This does look fantastic. We don’t do much that requires dipping sauces in this house, but I might just have to change that for some of the amazing condiments you’ve been making. :)
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted Classic Charcoal-Barbecued Chicken from Cooks Illustrated Summer Grilling 2011

9. Megan writes:

I made this today! I used agave instead of honey to cut the GI a bit – turned out GREAT! The kids (ages 6 and 2) don’t like the spiciness even though I cut the pepper in half, so I will make a separate batch for them with no pepper. Thanks for a honey mustard recipe with no mayonnaise! You rock!

10. Bryan writes:

Great recipe! Went over well with my veggie mom. I put it the honey mustard on her soy burger .