Slow Cooker Monday: Corn on the Cob

FYI: Jordan Ferney from Oh Happy Day is giving away a trip to Paris! Learn how to enter here.

This might be one of those slow cooker recipes that people think are slightly ridiculous, but I disagree. While you can make corn on the cob on the grill or in a big pot of boiling water, this is a literally effortless recipe. You wrap some cobs in aluminum foil, place them in your Crockpot and walk away for 2 hours. It’s great for a party or BBQ when your grill is full of burgers and hot dogs, or even just for dinner when you’re really busy.

This was my first corn of the season and it was wonderful – juicy, crunchy, sweet perfection. I can’t wait for heirloom tomatoes and blueberries to come into season along with all the other delicious summer fruit.

What is your favorite summer produce?

Slow Cooker Corn on the Cob

• Fresh corn (as many ears as can fit in your slow cooker)
  • Aluminum foil

Husk corn and wrap each ear in aluminum foil. Place wrapped corn in slow cooker (no water needed). Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Check corn and cook longer if needed to further soften.

28 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Corn on the Cob”
  1. kimberly michelle writes:

I think this is awesome and so not silly!

Next time you wrap them up, add some ponzu! I promise you that it’s amazing!
    kimberly michelle recently posted speaking of strawberries… have you had strawberry beer

2. Ann writes:

Clever idea! I love to make corn and my husband is in love with it…..so it’s always nice to mix up the way you make it! I love slow-cooker Mondays!

3. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time writes:

I don’t see how anyone could say anything other than corn as an answer to your question. Actually, I take it back. Tomatoes, THEN corn. :) I agree that most of the time my grill is full of meat and the stoves are simmering with potatoes or beans so this is just perfect. Thanks for sharing!
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted Blueberry-Zucchini Bread A Stolen Recipe And A Keeper

@kimberly michelle – I think it’s awesome too. Thanks for the tip! I will track down some ponzu so I can try it.

@Ann – thanks! Enjoy! :)

@The Mom Chef – i love tomatoes too! I think this recipe can come in handy when grilling for sure. Enjoy! :)

7. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts writes:

I can’t wait until I can get corn! My husband refuses to eat it if I buy it at the store (just not fresh enough)! I think I have a couple weeks left :(
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted Week in Review 6-4-11

8. Jess writes:

What a great idea. Thank you so much! I will definitely be doing this at our next bbq. :)

@Jess – thank you! Enjoy the recipe. I’ve already done this twice in one week. It’s so easy, I love it!

10. Liz writes:

What a great idea…especially when entertaining!

PS…I gave you a mention today on my berry crisp post :)
    Liz recently posted Goat Cheese Biscuits

11. Sarah Schiffman writes:

I’ve never thought to make corn in a slow cooker but I am so trying this on Thursday when our CSA box arrives filled with corn!!
    Sarah Schiffman recently posted Love at Third Bite

Thanks Liz! :)

@Sarah – good idea! This is a great, easy way to take care of a corn surplus.

14. kita writes:

We just started our corn season here so I can’t wait to try this!

@kita – enjoy!

16. Tam writes:

Torn – love the idea of this, but recently found an article about Long-Cooked Corn Higher in Antioxidant. http://www.psa-rising.com/eatingwell/corn/cooked-phenolics-0802.htm

@Tam – that’s interesting. This recipe calls for the corn to be cooked at a fairly high temp for 2 hours, so you might be getting the same benefits.

18. Fourth of July Recipe Roundup | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] are you cooking this weekend? I’m looking forward to some BBQ pulled chicken, corn on the cob, fresh fruit and a patriotic [...]

19. Gwen writes:

Have you ever tried frozen corn on the cob with this?

@Gwen – no, I haven’t. I would probably just add a couple of hours onto the cooking time. If you try it, please come back and tell us how it worked!

21. ken writes:

ive done this before…found that rubbing a little butter-salt-pepper [and try paprika] really gives the WOW factor.

@ken – great tip! Thanks :)

23. SteveR writes:

No one has asked why you need the aluminum foil. I don’t have much use for it and aluminum is both expensive and energy intensive to produce. So, why is it needed? and what else could be used?

24. BonnieH writes:

SteveR, you do not have to use the foil or anything. We use this recipe for potatoes and corn and both work fine with our with out being wrapped. The foil makes it easier to make sure each piece has butter!

25. BonnieH writes:

Has anyone tried this with frozen corn?

26. SteveR writes:

BonnieH – yes you are right. I dispensed with the foil and it worked just fine. I see no real reason for it. Butter can go on afterwards.

27. Shelli writes:

I rub them down with butter before I wrap them :-)

28. 25 Slow Cooker Recipes with 3 Ingredients or Less writes: