An Ode to Fava Beans

You taste like spring.

But when I get you home

and start to shell

I want to say go to he–

You take hours of time

that I’d rather be mine

…but I guess you’re worth it.

How do you feel about fava beans? I love to eat them but hate all the effort involved! Especially after growing them this year and having a giant crop in my school garden. Countless plants lined a fence with huge beans attached. We couldn’t even pick them all – with lots of little hands helping!

P.S. I didn’t include a recipe but basically I tossed whole wheat pasta with goat cheese, fava beans, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil.

17 Responses to “An Ode to Fava Beans”
  1. Peggy writes:

Those fava beans are beautiful! And I love the simplicity of this dish =)
    Peggy recently posted Garden Update &amp My New Favorite Sandwich

2. Shea Goldstein writes:

Love it! How creative :)

3. Ann writes:

Beautiful pic and I’d love to give you an intelligent answer, but the truth is, I’ve never had them!
    Ann recently posted Stuffed Peppers – He loves them…now I do- too!

4. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts writes:

I have never tried a Fava bean before. I have been curious lately – I might have to try them this way!
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted Cinnamon Roll Muffins

5. Tiffany writes:

I have a love/love relationship with them! I don’t shell them though… I braise the entire fava bean pod (I have a recent post on my blog). It saves a TON of time!!! :D
    Tiffany recently posted Guava Bread Pudding

6. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

I’ve never tasted a fava bean so I can’t comment on the love/hate aspect. Your dish of beans and pasta looks delightful tho. I will have to try get my hands on some of these beans. Love the ode.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Mushrooms à la Grecque – a mayo-free zone

7. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

I adore fava beans! Love them in salads…actually they taste GREAT even just simply boiled with salted water. The noodle salad looks very fresh, colourful and tempting!
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Lemon Thyme Amaretti aka Italian Macaroons

@Peggy – thank you! :)

@Shea – thanks! :)

@Ann – thanks! They’re really good if you ever have a chance to try them. They just take a lot of time to prep.

@Erin – you should definitely try them! They’re delicious, just a pain and time consuming to prep. It’s better if you can enlist someone to help you if you have a lot to shell.

@Tiffany – ooooh good tip! I will check out your blog post. Thanks! :)

@Hester Casey – thanks! You should definitely try them if you get a chance.

@Angie – I’ll have to try that next season. I think that works best with young beans and it would be so much easier!

15. Nicole- The Galley Gourmet writes:

I adore fava beans and have a crop growing in my kitchen garden as well. I completely understand your frustration of prepping them, but I agree it is worth it. Fortunately for me, I have three eager helpers in the kitchen to help me with those pesky pods. Love fava beans and love my children:)

@Nicole – that’s great! I love cooking with kids.

17. Hester aka The Chef Doc writes:

Oh, I love fava beans! I make a great mash with them and spread it on just-baked ciabiatta bread with fresh goat cheese. Sooooo good! Although it is labor intensive, the joy that I get out of eating them simply outweighs my grumpiness while shelling them :-)