Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

To celebrate the end of the school year, I made cupcakes to thank my interns and program assistants, as well as for our staff lunch, where we celebrated my co-worker’s pregnancy. Someone mentioned that the mom-to-be loves funfetti cake but I haven’t used a box cake mix in several years.

Instead, I found lots of recipes online for making funfetti from scratch, and ended up doubling two recipes: this one for the cake and this one for frosting to make around 19 cupcakes. I used oblong rainbow sprinkles in the batter, which melted in the oven and made perfect little splotches of bright color inside the cupcakes.

I piped the frosting with a 1M tip and decorated it with three types of sprinkles – the oblong rainbow ones, tiny rainbow nonpareils and pastel confetti.

Which sprinkles do you like best?

28 Responses to “Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes”
  1. Monet writes:

Both please! I adored funfetti cupcakes when I was a child. Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures. It takes me back to the days of 1st grade birthday parties. Yum!

2. Debbie writes:

Great idea, I have so many leftover sprinkles I could easily do this. Thanks!

3. Melissa writes:

I think I like the biggest sprinkles on top best, but it is also kind of fun having different sprinkles on the different cupcakes.

It’s perfect for leftover sprinkles! The recipe uses them all up.

5. Chef Dennis writes:

I better taste them to decide which I like better, send over a dozen and I’ll blog my results!!

6. Wheels writes:

Omg we are so making these when I come to town next please!!

7. Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } writes:

There is nothing better than white cake with white frosting and then throwing in the colored sprinkles on top!

8. Patty Price writes:

very fun, great for end of school celebration, love the sprinkles with the white frosting!

9. TaleTellerin writes:

These look really yum. Love the color blotches in the cakes and sprinkle-wise… I think I like the big round ones best.

10. The Cilantropist writes:

I think I like the biggest sprinkles the best, they sort of look like cute polka dots! Hurray for you, for making these from scratch yourself. I always applaud any effort to make something on your own rather than use store-bought! :)

11. Lisa writes:

pretty pretty! ive always wanted to try making home made funfetti cupcakes since i cant buy the mix here. the cupcakes look beautiful! oh, i and i like the confetti sprinkles the most ;)

12. Heather I. writes:

I’d have to say the oblong sprinkles. I’m sure these are so much tastier than the store bought mix! They just scream “Happy Birthday”!

13. Hanna W writes:

Great post!! I have tried to make funfetti at home before but made the mistake of stirring the sprinkles waaaay too much, the coloring came off making the batter a gross gray color, yours look beautiful though!
    For my own personal taste preferences I like the oblong sprinkles but I think the bigger round ones are cute for decorating!

Thanks! I added the sprinkles after everything was combined and folded them in with a spatula. The color didn’t bleed at all.

15. Andrea Groves writes:

Yum. Any cake makes me happy, and the color is fun!
    The round sprinkles would have to be my favorite for decorating. :)

16. The Housewife writes:

The cupcakes look so pretty and festive! I need one to fight my meltdown as I type…

17. whatnomints writes:

Oddly enough, Funfetti cupcakes remind me of college … I would make them for my friends all the time (from the box of course, I’m not too keen with baking from scratch!) – They just put a smile on everyone’s face! Proves you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy these fun little cakes :)

18. Angela writes:

I’ve always loved rainbow nonpareils. I also love how you turned funfetti cake into a homemade one, so much better than boxed cake mix. I’ll have to try this out for fun :)

19. Sarah writes:

Funfetti cake is the absolute best. I love the rainbow nonpareils as well, and add them to pancakes as well…typically on birthdays, anniversaries, or other celebrations as a little something special :)

Sprinkles in pancakes – what a great idea! I’ve added lots of other things to pancakes but I’ve never thought of sprinkles. That sounds so festive and fun.

21. My Birthday Cupcakes writes:

[...] first place I found the funfetti cupcakes was on 52 Kitchen Adventures. I loved how vibrant the sprinkles looked inside the cakes! She got her cake recipe from Cakespy, [...]

22. Brandi writes:

They look yummy!

23. Kathy writes:

When I was growing up, we had Funfetti cake or cupcakes at every birthday, from a box. But the sprinkles on top were always the tiny round things. Mom would let us kind of press them down a little into the icing so they wouldn’t fall off.

24. Katelynn writes:

Hi Stephanie, Those cupcakes look so pretty! Perfect to make for someone’s birthday. I may have to try to make those soon. :)

25. Kori writes:

These are beautiful! Just what I was looking for, as a friend of mine’s bday is coming up, and she loves Funfetti cupcakes…but I, too, refuse to make anything from a box filled with preservatives and who knows what and was hoping to make them from scratch :) Thanks so much for sharing! I love how you used different types of sprinkles too. These are adorable!

26. Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet writes:

I like them all but in order or funfetti cuteness I would have to say, confetti sprinkles, rainbow non-pareils and then the oblong rainbow :)
    Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet recently posted Vanilla Frappuccino Cupcakes

27. some girlll writes:

yum. i love making funfetti cake/cupcakes! :) YUMMMMMAAAAY!

28. Confetti cupcakes writes:

[...] white only confetti cupcakes Frosted confetti cupcakes Gluten-free confetti [...]