Mushroom Burgers with Chipotle Mayo

As a former vegetarian and always an animal lover, I still eat a lot of vegetarian food. Although I do eat meat burgers occasionally, I enjoy veggie versions, especially portabello mushroom burgers (they make a great one at Burgers and Brew if you live in the Sacramento or Chico areas). I also hate cooking meat so I’m always on the lookout for great veggie recipes that my meat loving partner will eat. When I randomly came across Lisa’s Mushroom Burgers at We Heart Food, I was really excited – a new version of mushroom burgers that looked more like ground meat than fungi! It’s healthier than hamburgers but still comes off as fairly meaty with the intense amount of chopped mushroom. Add in some oats, Parmesan and breadcrumbs, bind it with egg and season with some herbs and onion, and these burgers were given two thumbs up by my resident carnivore.

I topped the burgers with lettuce, avocado, wheat buns from a local bakery and homemade chipotle mayo. This mayo is seriously easy to make but delivers a huge dose of flavor to any sandwich or other dish. See below for the easiest recipe ever.

Chipotle Mayonnaise

• 1 jar of your preferred mayonnaise (we used a 15 oz. jar of reduced fat mayo)
  • 1 small can of chipotles in abodo sauce (we used a 7 oz. jar and used all but one pepper)

Place mayonnaise in a bowl. Add chipotle peppers to taste. If you want a smooth sauce, puree in a blender or food processor.

12 Responses to “Mushroom Burgers with Chipotle Mayo”
  1. Heidi @ Food Doodles writes:

Yum, those burgers look great I’ll have to check out the recipe. And I’m making that mayo for sure! I bet it would be perfect of some sweet potato fries :D
    Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted Coconut Apricot Bites

2. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking writes:

I can’t believe these are meatless… they look mouthwatering, and I love the chipotle mayo you made, too! What a delicious burger. I’ll have to try this sometime.

3. Sara writes:

How come I can’t find the actual recipe for the mushroom burger? Am I completely missing it? This looks amazing and I want to try it. Thanks!

Sara – the burger recipe is over at We Heart Food. There’s a link in the first part of the post.

5. Wheels writes:

I’m not a mushroom person but that mayo looks amazing! It sounds even better after you mentioned you could puree it to remove chunks. Nice work, Stephie!

6. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen writes:

This really looks flavorful! Great job!! ♥- Katrina
    Katrina @ In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted Homemade Girl Scout Cookies – Thin Mints!

7. Ang writes:

I’m always looking for great veggie type burgers. I don’t eat beef, but I crave a good burger sometimes. These look very yummy!

8. Rochelle (Acquired Taste) writes:

I’m enjoy a good mushroom burger and this looks like it would be the perfect sub for a meat version! That mayo looks to die for too, I can see me using it for french fries or chip dip as well as on a burger :)
    Rochelle (Acquired Taste) recently posted Blackberry Vanilla Panna Cotta and Florentine Cookies – A Daring Bakers Challenge

9. Julie M. writes:

Mmm. That looks like a delightful veggie burger. I’m loving the look of your mayo as well. Simple but delicious. Perfect!
    Julie M. recently posted Family Friendly Fridays- Homemade Animal Crackers

10. Elyse @The Cultural Dish writes:

Oooo Chipotle mayo! Love it! I’m craving Chipotle now…
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish recently posted The Irish Pirate Shamrock Shake

11. Kita writes:

I have got to try this mayo. We have been trying different versions of chipotle but haven’t quite gotten it right quite yet. This looks simple and great.

12. penny aka jeroxie writes:

Love this! Yummmmm… will steal mayo idea
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted SBS Food Journey 2011