Tropical Green Smoothie

In my last post I complained about having too many sweets and desserts in my house (what a terrible situation, really). We recently got an amazing new blender so I’ve been balancing my sweet overload by shoving vegetables into it and masking their flavor with fruit. It’s a win, win – good flavor, lots of nutrients.

It’s become my new morning ritual to toss yogurt, spinach, fresh and frozen fruit into the blender and go whirrrr until you can no longer tell there’s spinach in it. I mean, except for that astonishing green color. But, if you weren’t looking at this (maybe try an opaque glass for your kids), you really couldn’t tell. Fresh pineapple flavor comes out on top, successfully camoflaging  the “healthy” flavor. Besides the nutrients in fresh fruits and vegetables, another bonus is that this actually keeps me full all morning – something I’ve struggled with when I eat cereal. Avoiding a grumbling stomach in the middle of class is another reason to down a suspiciously green beverage.

Also, don’t skimp on the spinach. Here’s my colander full of one smoothie serving, and you can see how disturbing the proportion looks in the blender. Don’t worry – it will liquify and you won’t even know it’s there. If you can tell, just add a little more fruit or a drizzle of honey.

I’ve been making these green smoothies with lots of spinach mostly, but I also tried avocado and kale and liked those too. What other veggies have you tried in smoothies?

Tropical Green Smoothie

Makes 1 big or 2 small smoothies

• 1 C plain yogurt
  • 1 C frozen or fresh pineapple chunks (I recommend fresh)*
  • 1/2 C frozen or fresh mango chunks*
  • 2-3 big handfuls of fresh spinach
  • 1 T chia seeds (optional)

Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until everything is pureed.

*If using all fresh fruit, you may want to add some ice

36 Responses to “Tropical Green Smoothie”
  1. Andrea writes:

Wow! I love your pictures – they make green smoothies look so beautiful.
    I’m on a raw diet, and I’ve been trying to get my courage up to make a green smoothie (other than just fruit smoothies)…and yours looks so good I might just try it!

2. Magic of Spice writes:

Love It! Just really love it, so healthy and refreshing…yes no skimping on the spinach, I promise :)

3. Christine @ Nourish the Budding Lotus writes:

Yum! I have been loving the green smoothies too, and haven’t tried pineapple yet. This looks delicious!
    Christine @ Nourish the Budding Lotus recently posted Homemade Vegan Nutella

4. Lindsey@lindselicious writes:

I love green smoothies! I was so afraid to try one, I think it took me 3 weeks to gain the courage and now I’m hooked. I’ve never done it with tropical fruits, picking those up at Trader Joes next time!
    Lindsey@lindselicious recently posted Pumpkin Coconut Crunch Granola

5. Hayley writes:

I just recently got a Vitamix too and I have been making smoothies galore- carrots are another great addition!

6. Yocelyn writes:

I love green monsters. I tens to cut my fresh fruit then freeze it. I like the consistency it gives the smoothie with out having to add ice. Sometimes I omit the yogurt for almond milk. Makes it sweeter and is really good with blueberries or strawberries

7. Sandra writes:

I’m a green smoothie fan also. My family thinks I’m a bit cuckoo but that’s OK. I like to throw in broccoli sometimes and even sweet potatoes.
    Sandra recently posted Citrus Chiffon Cake

Yocelyn – freezing fresh fruit is a great idea! I’m going to stock up on pineapples next time they’re on sale and do that. And all the great summer berries when they’re in season!

@Sandra – I’ve been curious about broccoli but haven’t tried it yet. It’s on sale this week so I think I’ll give it a shot. Sweet potatoes are also a great idea – thanks!

@Hayley – Carrots are a great idea! Thanks from me and my rabbit (who will be thrilled to eat my carrot scraps)

@Andrea – thanks! Give it a try. You can always add more fruit to make it taste even more like a fruit smoothie. You won’t even know you’re eating veggies.

12. Ang writes:

I have a green smoothie nearly everyday, but I do like the sound of your variation. It just feels good knowing that all that goodness is going in your body.

13. Tiffany writes:

I love everything about this smoothie!
    Tiffany recently posted A Rustic Savory Crostata

14. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

Some days I just can’t face breakfast but this would really appeal – healthy, tasty and light – and made in minutes. What’s not to love!
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Chocolate Truffle Frosting – it’s a meltdown!

15. laura writes:

interesting… here’s my version ( http://cookmarked.com/recipe.aspx?eID=kHGwP6ADYslIwuhVxc9Zj4A2yEpUG9r7p7cjqGkW158e ) i have it almost every day! i like that you toss in spinach. i usually add spirullina for the greens.

16. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen writes:

Ooh! I love green smoothies and yours looks fabulous! I have seen it featured everywhere too! Great pic! ♥
    Katrina @ In Katrina’s Kitchen recently posted Marshmallow Cupcakes Marshmallow Frosting

@Laura – that looks great! I love the addition of coconut water. I know it’s good for you but I don’t really like the taste of it. Adding into a smoothie would be a great way to try it.

@Katrina – thanks!

@Hester – Yes, I’ve found it to be a great, easy breakfast. I’ve had one everyday for the last couple of weeks.

20. Noya - gluttonandstudent writes:

I love putting spinach in smoothies – it’s virtually tasteless but I always FEEL healthy while I’m drinking them. Plus, I just love the color.

21. melissa cardenas writes:

interesting, don’t think I’ll make it again though. thanks for the recipe though! Always good to try new things!

22. Shelly writes:

I’ve just started making these too! I add one banana, a cup or so of either frozen strawberries or a raspberry/blueberry.marion berry mix from Costco and two big handfulls of fresh spinach and 2 tbs. ground flax seed! Keeps me full all morning!!

23. Rana writes:

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try- thanks for sharing!!

24. Smoothie Recipes to Run For | The Wellness Scientist writes:

[...] Smoothie – Running To The Kitchen 3. Kale Spinach and Pear Smoothie – Joy The Baker 4. Tropical Green Smoothie – 52 Kitchen Adventures 5. Preet’s Special Smoothie – Yyoga + OrganicLives 6. Power [...]

25. Unnati writes:

Hey loved your post, I want to start on vege smoothie too in the mornings!! Which blender do I have??

@Unnati – I have a Vitamix, which are very expensive but the best blender out there! I used to have a KitchenAid, which also got the job done, but wasn’t quite as good.

27. berryhealthy: 1. Green Machine Smoothie – Whole Living… | writes:

[...] Smoothie – Running To The Kitchen 3. Kale Spinach and Pear Smoothie – Joy The Baker 4. Tropical Green Smoothie – 52 Kitchen Adventures 5. Preet’s Special Smoothie – Yyoga + OrganicLives 6. Power Protein [...]

28. blog| 13.1 smoothies for 13.1 miles| lululemon athletica writes:

29. Fitness Friday: @BarreFitness Challenge Week Three — Vancouver Is Awesome writes:

[...] Tropical Green Smoothie (click for recipe)- 52 Kitchen [...]

30. Suzanne Holt writes:

I’m just wondering if the chia seeds really thicken up the smoothie? Have you ever used ground chia? I think I’ll try this for breakfast tomorrow!
    Suzanne Holt recently posted May Norwex Hostess Specials

31. groene smoothies writes:

Thank you for your recipe.

I really loved the pineapple flavor.
    groene smoothies recently posted Maaltijdvervanger – Groene Smoothie Recept

32. 72 Healthy Recipes to Jumpstart the New Year | Natural ThriftyNatural Thrifty writes:

[...] Tropical Green Smoothie (pictured above) [...]

33. [Recipes] – Green Smoothies You’ll Actually Want To Drink | Thomas Benjamin Cooper writes:

[...] 9. Tropical Green SmoothieLINK -http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/04/22/tropical-green-smoothie/ [...]

34. Are Green Smoothies Paleo? | The Paleo Diet Food List writes:

[...] Source: 52KitchenAdventures Please share:TwitterPinterestFacebookGoogleRedditStumbleUponTumblrEmailPrintLike this:Like [...]

35. 10 grüne Smoothies… | la raffinée writes:

[...] http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/04/22/tropical-green-smoothie/ [...]

36. Jamie Kong writes:

Hi,
    I just stumbled onto you’re blog and I’m happy that i did. I too am a native Sacramentan (sp?)! Yeah for supporting the locals!
    Thanks!