Slow Cooker Monday: Chicken Adobo

When I posted a plea for savory recipes after my kitchen was filled with a few too many desserts, Carolyn from All I Dream About is Food suggested her chicken adobo. It’s one of her favorite chicken recipes, plus it’s easy with fairly minimal effort involved. After reading her post, I thought it sounded like something that could be made in a Crock Pot. This was quickly confirmed by a Google search that found lots and lots of slow cooker adobo recipes.

Adobo is a popular Filipino dish, involving marinating and cooking meat in a mixture that typically includes vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves and black pepper. There are lots of variations on the recipe all over the Internet but I used Carolyn’s recipe as my inspiration. The chicken came out extremely moist and flavorful, with meat that fell right off the bone. If you have some extra time, you can take the juices from the slow cooker and reduce them on the stove for serving. I served a the meat with rice and a few spoonfuls of the cooking juices straight out of the slow cooker and it was a wonderful dinner on a busy day.

Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo

• 1 lb. chicken thighs, skin removed
  • 1 lb. chicken wings, skin removed
  • 1/2 C reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker. Mix together the soy sauce and vinegar, then pour over chicken. Sprinkle garlic over everything. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours (until meat is cooked through). Serve with rice.

36 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Chicken Adobo”
  1. Kelly writes:

This looks fantastic!! :)

2. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

Oooh I love that this is made in the crockpot! I have a feeling my bf would love this, I should crockpot it on one of the days we go to work out.
    Lindsey@Lindselicious recently posted April Favorites from Around the Web

3. Adora's Box writes:

Carolyn seems to have started a chicken adobo craze. Yeyy! As a Filipino, I get excited when non-Filipinos embrace and cook our beloved adobo. Thank you. You did well.

4. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time writes:

I guess I need to jump on the wagon with you guys and give this recipe a go. It does look fantastic.
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted Lamb Shoulder Chops with Smoky Red Pepper-Shallot Butter from Fine Cooking Magazine- April-May 2011

5. fooddreamer writes:

Hey, great idea to do it in a crockpot! Very smart. Glad you liked it!
    fooddreamer recently posted Smoked Salmon Salad with Dilled Bearnaise Dressing

6. Sandra writes:

Count me in with this one as well. Looks fantastic!
    Sandra recently posted DB Challenge – Maple Mousse In Edible Container

7. kitchenarian writes:

This looks delicious. I really need to take my slow cooker out and use it more often.
    kitchenarian recently posted A Celebration- My One Year Blogiversary- Plus A Recipe- Mile High Boston Cream Pie

@Kelly – thanks!

@Lindsey – it’s definitely a great meal for a busy day! I love coming home to a finished homemade dinner.

@Adora’s Box – thanks! I’d never made adobo before but I loved it!

@The Mom Chef – you should definitely try it! It was really flavorful and moist. Plus, cooking in a Crock Pot was great because there’s so little time or effort involved.

@fooddreamer – thank you for suggesting the recipe! I loved it and will definitely be making it again.

@Sandra – enjoy!

@kitchenarian – thanks! You should, it’s such a time saver and meat comes out so moist.

15. Belinda @zomppa writes:

When you can leave it in the slow cooker and let it do it’s magic? Even better!
    Belinda @zomppa recently posted School Lunches Around the World- TidBit of the Day

16. Lisa R writes:

Is the particular vinegar important? What could you substitute instead of apple cider vinegar?

17. Maja writes:

I don’t have a slow cooker but I really really wish i did. Thsi recipe looks wonderful !
    Maja recently posted Ricotta Gnocchi Њоки од рикота

@LIsa R – you could use white vinegar, or rice vinegar in a pinch (but seasoned rice vinegar will give it a bit of sweetness)

19. Magic of Spice writes:

What a great idea to do a slow cooker version. Perfect family night meal, looks fantastic!
    Magic of Spice recently posted Whats for dinner Homemade Manicotti with Fresh Tomato Sauce

20. Jenny (VintageSugarcube) writes:

I’m totally going to make this recipe. LOVE me some chicken adobo!!!

21. jen writes:

If you’d like to have adobo quick on the stove top (2 pot meal, 1 for adobo, 1 for rice):

For ever 1 pound of meat:
    -2 oz of apple cider vinegar
    -2 cloves garlic-smashed
    -2 bay leaves

~One tea bell of pickling spice (or equivalent amount in any apparatus) for the pot.
    ~tomato paste to taste

Put the ingredients in the bottom of the pot, place meat on top. Fill with water to just above the meat line. Bring to boil and simmer until meat is cooked through. Add tomato paste to pot half way through cooking.

My single father would cook this for us a few times a month. We’d have rice and salad on the side. His grand parents were from the Philippines. We’d usually use skin-on thighs. Recently made it with boneless thigh fillets, and it tasted just the same.

@Jen – thanks for the recipe!

23. Serena writes:

Apple cider will work really well. A lot of Filipinos add a little sugar to their adobo to cut the saltiness from the soy sauce and added flavor. Pork will also work really well with this recipe.

24. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

Lovely dish. So few ingredients but all working together to make something magical. Good idea to use the slow cooker. I just so happen to have chicken wings in the fridge looking for a recipe to hang out with. I think this is the one!
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted White Chocolate and Cranberry Oatmeal Blondies – mood enhancing

25. Wheels writes:

Can I make this with chicken breasts instead?

@Wheels – sure, that would work too.

27. Easy Crock Pot Meals for Any Night of the Week | Yummly writes:

[...] Chicken Adobo (from 52 Kitchen Adventures) [...]

28. Amy writes:

I made this tonight and was really disappointed. The sauce had so much vinegar in made our mouths pucker!

@Amy – I’m sorry to hear that! I didn’t have the same experience at all. I didn’t use the sauce for anything – I just took the meat out of the Crock Pot and served it with rice.

30. Sara writes:

Can you use frozen chicken?

@Sara – I would defrost it first to be sure it has time to cook all the way through (you could always zap it in the microwave if you don’t have much time).

32. Van Swets writes:

I love to consume Apple Cider Vinegar because it taste great and also it has so many health benefits. .;,`,

Yours trully http://www.healthmedicinelab.com“>

33. Cele writes:

I have both thighs and wings with skin on. Would this make any difference? I suppose I could pull skin off of thighs but not wings.

@Cele – I’ve never made chicken with skin on in a slow cooker because the skin won’t get crispy. I’ve heard you’ll just get strips of fat in the dish.

35. Dinner Menu: Sept Week 2 …Soft Foods | Jodiann's Sky Pie writes:

[...] Adobo Chicken and Rice  ( Crock Pot Meal) [...]

36. 85 Healthy Chicken Crock-Pots | Fitness Bootcamp Singapore - Lose Weight and Fat Loss - Singapore Personal Trainer writes:

[…] 36. Chicken Adobo The beauty of this one is that the ingredients read like CliffsNotes so even learning how to make it doesn’t take long. It’s basically a shorthand way to make adobo, which can sometimes take a long time when following a traditional recipe. They recommend serving it with rice, which will definitely go with the protein of the chicken. We might also suggest quinoa as a rice alternative, and also to have a vegetable with this for a completely healthy meal. The total time from starting this recipe to walking away from a cooking chicken is estimated at 10 minutes, 15 tops. […]