Slow Cooker Monday: Granola

Today we can celebrate meatless Monday and slow cooker Monday with the same thing: granola. Unfortunately this isn’t one of those recipes where you toss the ingredients in the Crock Pot and walk away for 8 hours recipes; instead, you have to stir occasionally. It’s a good project for an afternoon when you’re home and you can still get other things done around the house.

This recipe makes a more cereal-like granola – if you like really clumpy, trail-mix granola, add more sweetener and butter. As with any granola recipe, you can play around with flavors and add different nuts, seeds, dried fruit, and even fruit puree to replace some of the butter. I added maple syrup, walnuts, raisins, sunflower seeds and butter to oats to make a slightly sweet granola with the perfect toasted and nutty flavor.

What are your favorite granola ingredients?

Slow Cooker Granola

I made this in a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. If you have a larger one, you can double the recipe.

• 2 1/2 C oats
  • 1/2 C nuts, chopped
  • 1/2 C dried fruit
  • 1/4 C sweetener (honey, maple syrup, etc.)
  • 1/4 C seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
  • 2 T butter (or nut butter)
  • 1 t cinnamon

Place all ingredients in slow cooker and set to high for 3 hours. Place a chopstick or other utensil under the lid so it doesn’t close all the way. Check and stir the granola around every 30 minutes, or when it becomes fragrant. Once it looks a bit browned and toasted, it’s ready to go. Turn off slow cooker, let granola cool, then store in airtight bag in fridge.

31 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Granola”
  1. Heidi writes:

I had no idea you could make granola in a slow cooker. That is awesome! Yours looks so yummy.) I haven’t had granola in so long and I love it :)
    Heidi recently posted Hazelnut Butter Two Ways

2. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

I had absolutely no idea that granola could be prepared in a slow cooker! Yours looks awesome! I love it.
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Chicken Rice with Black Fungus- Parmesan and Cherry Radish Leaves

3. Jennifer (Delicieux) writes:

Like Angie, I had no idea you could make granola in a slow cooker. What a great idea though! I have a friend with a slow cooker, so am sending this to her.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted Mother’s Day Menu Ideas

4. Amanda writes:

Granola in a slow cooker? Incredible! I need to invest in a slow cooker…
    Amanda recently posted a good wife

5. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs writes:

I am another who did not realize that you could make granola in a slow cooker. Great idea!
    Felice – All That’s Left Are The Crumbs recently posted Marks Ricotta Hotcakes with Honeycomb-Crunchie® Butter

6. Tiffany writes:

You SERIOUSLY work wonders with your slow cooker! I love coconut and almonds in my granola!
    Tiffany recently posted Two Smoothies and A TON of Gratitude

7. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

You are the slow cooker queen! I love that this recipe hardly uses any sweetener and so little butter. I will have to give this a try after I finish the batch I made earlier.
    Lindsey@Lindselicious recently posted Gaji Namul- Korean Eggplant

8. Emily @ Life On Food writes:

I love the slow cooker and granola. What a perfect combination! I never knew you could make it in a slow cooker. I cannot wait to try it out.
    Emily @ Life On Food recently posted Restaurant Review- Morimoto Napa

9. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time writes:

This may need to be stirred once in a while, but it’s fantastic. I love that the basic backbone of a recipe is provided and it can be customized to fit any liking. Wonderful recipe (and your granola is gorgeous). Many thanks.
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted Best Butterscotch Pie from Paula Deens Best Dishes 2011

10. Andrea writes:

Crazy! I didn’t know granola could be made in a slow cooker! Must try.

11. Joy writes:

That looks wonderful.
    Joy recently posted Kinda Working

12. Sarah Schiffman writes:

Slow Cooker Granola? This just kind of blew my mind. I think I’ll have to try it this weekend!!

13. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

No, I didn’t know you could make granola in a slow cooker. Ya lives and ya learns! This looks delicious and healthy. My fave granola ingredient is a little hint of coconut.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted White Chocolate and Cranberry Oatmeal Blondies – mood enhancing

14. Annie writes:

I absolutely love a good slow cooker recipe. What a great idea!
    Annie recently posted Berry Shortcake

15. Eda writes:

Tried this today and doubled it up a I love granola and I have a huge slow cooker. It is delicious, the next batch is already in for a friend. Thanks!

16. Magic of Spice writes:

Wow, now this is something I would never have thought to make in a slow cooker…looks perfect :)
    Magic of Spice recently posted Whats for lunch Insalata Caprese The Grilled Cheese

I was surprised too, but it definitely works. Slow cookers are more versatile than their reputation implies!

Eda – that’s great! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Annie!

Hester, I meant to add coconut and I simply forgot! Thanks for the reminder, I need to try that next time.

Sarah, I love that this blew your mind :) Aren’t slow cookers amazing?!

Andrea, definitely try it! Slow cookers are surprisingly versatile and it’s fun to find different things to make in them.

The Mom Chef – thank you! It’s not much of a hassle if you’re home anyway, and worth the result I think.

Emily – give it a try and let me know what you think!

Lindsey – thank you! You’re so sweet. I will gladly accept my new title :) I liked that I was able to keep it pretty healthy too. When you try it, let me know what you think.

26. kita writes:

My favorite granola ingredient is dried cranberries. I love those little suckers and can never get enough of them. I love that this is made in a crock pot and I have plenty to do at home so it should be an easy afternoon task for me :)

27. Tara writes:

Just wondering how long the granola will keep for? :)

@Tara – it keeps for a long time. I think I had mine in the fridge for a month or two before I ate it all.

29. Slow Cooker Granola in the Crockpot | A Quiet Simple Life writes:

[...] I tried the granola recipe from 52 Kitchen Adventures. We didn’t like it as much as our regular granola recipe.  The dried fruit (cherries) became [...]

30. Chance writes:

What kind of oats are these? I mean, are they at all pre-cooked or is it old fashined steel-cut style? need some clarification.

31. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Chance, they’re not pre-cooked, just old fashioned oats (not steel cut).