Chocolate Avocado Milkshake

Now, I know what you’re thinking…what business does an avocado have in a chocolate milkshake? It seems like a weird idea, although in Vietnam and the Philippines it’s not uncommon to have an avocado milkshake (often with ice cream or sweetened condensed milk).

This version of an avocado milkshake is actually really healthy. There’s no ice cream, just milk, avocado, cocoa powder, sweetener, vanilla. You can easily make it vegan with one of the various non-dairy milk options. The avocado gives it a creamy texture, while the cocoa powder and sweetener mask the mild flavor of the avocado and make it taste like a regular chocolate milkshake.

Give it a try next time you want something sweet but not too unhealthy. Avocados are full of healthy fats, fiber, and lots of vitamins and minerals.

When you’re craving something chocolate or sweet, do you have a healthy answer? Or do you give in and indulge?

Chocolate Avocado Milkshake

Makes 1 serving

• 1/2 avocado
  • 1-1/2 C milk
  • 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1-2 T preferred sweetener (sugar, agave nectar, etc.)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • A few ice cubes

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Disclaimer: As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received free California Avocados

45 Responses to “Chocolate Avocado Milkshake”
  1. Tina@flourtrader writes:

Perhaps we can take a tip from those countries, they probably eat much more healthier than Americans. The way you described it-it sounds worth trying out. Thanks for sharing.
    Tina@flourtrader recently posted Jamaican Coin Cookies

@Tina – good point. I think it’s definitely worth at least trying. Let me know what you think when you do!

3. Jen writes:

I’m wondering – did it taste like chocolate or could you tell there was avocado in it?
    Jen recently posted Strawberry Cream Tartlets

4. Lauren at Keep It Sweet writes:

I’ve seen a bunch of avocado based desserts and they all look so good. Your milkshakes are adorable! I need to get some avocados asap:-)

@Jen – it tasted like chocolate. Without adding sweetener, it still tasted faintly of avocado, but when I sweetened it I could no longer taste avocado at all.

@Lauren – thanks! I want to try a chocolate avocado cake next.

7. hannah writes:

i think i know what i’m going to make my hubby buy on his way home!

@hannah – enjoy! :)

9. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts writes:

Wow! What a great idea! I have been meaning to use Avocado in baking for awhile in place of the fat – so this just makes sense!
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted Peanut Butter Cups

10. Ann writes:

Holy Guacamole, Batman! That looks amazing! I think I’ll go to the grocery store…
    Ann recently posted A learning experience…

11. Carolyn writes:

More and more, I am getting used to the idea of avocado in sweet foods. Haven’t actually tried it yet, but I am working up to it!
    Carolyn recently posted Cinnamon Walnut Braid Low Carb

12. sara826 writes:

That looks delicious! I am a sucker for an avocado!
    sara826 recently posted and then life suddenly changed……

13. Andrea writes:

Looks amazing. I’d love to have a taste. I definitely will make something like this when I get avocadoes next! Raw foodies make chocolate mousse with the same ingredients, and it sounds divine.

14. Sandra writes:

Who would’ve thunk it?
    Sandra recently posted Cake for Hire

@Erin – thanks! I want to try using it in baking too.

@Ann – thanks! Enjoy!

@Carolyn – haha, it is a bit of an adjustment to think about them like that. Although, if you think about it, avocados taste pretty neutral on their own – not sweet or salty or savory. So they’re pretty versatile, especially since their mild taste is easily masked.

@sara826 – thanks! I am too :)

@Andrea – thank you! A raw chocolate avocado mousse sounds interesting and I bet it would be good.

@Sandra – haha, right? It’s good though!

21. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

Avocado milkshake…that’s definitely something! And not to mention it’s combined with chocolate!
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Red Wine Spinach and Spinach Prosciutto Pizza

22. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

I couldn’t resist checking out this post – chocolate/avocado/milkshake are not three words you often see together but I am totally intrigued. I am going to have to try this. Sounds both delicious AND healthy.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Moules Marinière – ‘ere are ze rules

23. Elyse @The Cultural Dish writes:

This looks awesome! I’ll have to give this a try. I love drinking avocado milkshakes but the condensed milk can definitely get a bit heavy for me sometimes. Thanks for sharing!
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish recently posted Fresh Blueberry Pie!

24. Medeja writes:

Great recipe! Sounds very interesting.
    Medeja recently posted Tuna Salad- Tuno Salotos

@Medeja – thanks! It’s actually really tasty :)

@Elyse – I’ve never tried a traditional avocado milkshake but I can imagine it would get heavy and filling with sweetened condensed milk. Hope you enjoy my lighter version!

@Hester Casey – I know, it’s fairly unusual but it really works! I’ve also seen chocolate avocado cakes, which I want to try sometime. Enjoy the milkshake!

@Angie – It is unusual! But it’s surprisingly good :)

29. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

Oooh I didnt like the regular avocado shake when I tried it but I think i would love this chocolate version! I think the Condensed Milk was too much for me- so I love that you lightened it up.
    Lindsey@Lindselicious recently posted Herby No Knead Bread

@Lindsey – I haven’t it tried it the traditional way, but I can imagine it would be so heavy and filling with condensed milk. Try my version, I think you’ll like it!

31. kita writes:

I wasnt thinking that at all – I was thinking OMG this sounds amazing. Flat out amazing. Avocado and chocolate sound like they make for the perfect texture for a milkshake. I am super excited to try this.

@kita – yay! I hope you love it! :)

33. Sunny writes:

What a great way to get in a vegetable and some healthy fats! Thanks for posting. I like using avocados in place of mayo on sandwiches because of the creamy texture. How creative to use it instead of cream!
    Sunny recently posted Leftover Pre-baked Crescent Rolls Make Dessert!

@Sunny – I love avocados on sandwiches too. Thanks! :)

35. A Teenage Gourmet writes:

I made this tonight with high expectations, and I wasn’t disappointed! I love it!

@A Teenage Gourmet – aw, I’m so glad you love it and it met expectations! That’s fantastic :)

37. Kay writes:

Now why would anyone want to mask the fragrant taste of avocado? Where I come from, we usually put some gula malaka as sweetener to reduce the sharp edge. The milk-shake tastes like coffee, and with a teaspoon of cocoa powder, tastes like a mocha!

38. milk-shake writes:

Very good recipe :)
    milk-shake recently posted Un milk-shake au bacon chez Jack in the Box

39. Carol writes:

Reminds me of a recipe I’ve made many times where avocado is used as icing for brownies….raw vegan brownies (even though I am neither)…. :-)

Here’s the link to it:

40. Aimee writes:

Tried this tonight….Sooooo yummy! Only issue I have is that this makes 1 very, very large serving. Half would be more than enough for me!

41. Bek writes:

Lovely milkshake! Thanks. At first I put a whole avocado in with about 1/2 a cup of milk and it turned out like a moose, which was lovely but needed double the cocoa and sweetener.

42. Laura Miller writes:

Just found this recipe yesterday on Pinterest. Tried it this morning and LOVED it! I had it for breakfast and not only did it taste great, bit it was very filling as well. I’m excited to try this healthier milkshake option out on my picky kids…glad I found this! It’s a keeper! Thanks for sharing!

43. Heide M. writes:

I’ll have to try this.

44. Chocolate Avocado Milkshake | Paradisepin writes:

[…] Recipe: http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/06/03/healthy-chocolate-avocado-milkshake/ […]

45. Recipes With Avocado writes: