Eggplant Nixon

This post is dedicated to my sister, whose birthday is today! Happy birthday Dani! I got this recipe from one of her fun weekly mini-cookbooks. And she got the inspiration for the recipe from The Flavor Bible, which I actually gave her for her birthday.

The Flavor Bible is an amazing encyclopedia of complimenting flavors, interspersed with anecdotes and recipe recommendations from famous chefs. Basically you look up almost any ingredient and find a list of other foods and flavors that go well with it. Dani looked up eggplant, found 3 flavors she had on hand that she had not tried with it before, and put them all together. You would think that if certain things are all complimentary to eggplant, they should compliment each other, right? This proved that theory right! I would never have thought to pair balsamic vinegar, cinnamon and sesame seeds with eggplant, but it works. The roasted eggplant comes out soft, with a sweet and tangy flavor.

I picked out this recipe to make both because I like eggplant and it sounded interesting, but also in large part to use my brand-new orange Le Creuset baking dish. I found it at Marshall’s for $14.99(!) and just had to get it. Isn’t it pretty? This was the first thing I made in it, but I’m sure I will use it more soon. Maybe to make some cookie dough brownies

Eggplant Nixon*

From PeaceMeals

Makes 8-10 servings (I cut the recipe in half to fit in my new 8×8 pan)

• 2 very large eggplants (about 4-6 pounds total)
  • 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons of good balsamic vinegar
  • 4 ounces of sesame seeds
  • Olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cube the eggplants and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out in two brownie pans and drizzle everything else evenly over the top.

Bake for at least half an hour, until the eggplant is browned and so soft it’s practically puree.

*Why “Eggplant Nixon?” Named after an eggplant that looked like Nixon, of course!

11 Responses to “Eggplant Nixon”
  1. Dani writes:

LOL thanks Steph!

And it motivated me to dress the website up a little better and put some more cookbooks on it.

I really do love Eggplant Nixon. Maybe I’ll make some more of it this afternoon! BIRTHDAY EGGPLANT
    Dani recently posted Tastebud Heaven

2. Ann writes:

What a great recipe! Happy Birthday to you sister and I LOVE the name! (eggplant is one of my very favorites)
    Ann recently posted Sometimes you gotta have a SANDWICH!

3. Christine writes:

Looks good. Happy Belated Birthday to your sister.
    Christine recently posted Your Favorite Recipes ~ Month of August 2011

4. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts writes:

I am not sure that I have ever tried eggplant – amazing I know. This sounds great though. I love all the flavors you have in there. Happy Birthday to your sister!
    Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted Garden Fresh Salsa

5. Emily @ Life on Food writes:

I am not sure about the cinnamon but the balsamic vinegar sounds delicious! I love eggplant though so I am sure to give it a try soon. The Flavor Bible is a great book.
    Emily @ Life on Food recently posted Top Cookie Recipes

6. Lori Lynn writes:

I use The Flavor Bible all the time. It’s great.
    Love your eggplant photo.
    LL
    Lori Lynn recently posted Grilled Baja Fish Torta

7. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time writes:

The recipe I use to make moussaka has cinnamon with it. It’s a very common spice used in Middle Eastern cooking. I’ll bet this tastes fantastic. It looks gorgeous.
    The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time recently posted Tres Leches Cake from Taste of Home Southwest Cooking, September 2011

8. German Mama writes:

This sounds great. I love eggplant and I am curious to try this flavor combination.

9. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

Oh I am always looking for new eggplant recipes. Definately going to try this soon!
    Lindsey@Lindselicious recently posted Korean Sushi, Kimbap

10. Tessa @ FlexYourFood writes:

I love the unique flavors in this, I’ll definitely have to try it.

11. Tessa @ FlexYourFood writes:

I love the unique flavors in this, I’ll definitely have to try it. Beautiful photo!