Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Tilapia

Remember when I made super easy garlic compound butter? The last leftovers of it turned into the simplest slow cooker meal yet: place garlic butter on tilapia, wrap in aluminum foil, cook. You can also use the same method in the oven, but it was nice to put it in the slow cooker and walk away for a couple of hours to get some chores done. It also doesn’t heat up the house as much, although that’s not such a concern at this point in the year.

This dish only needs a couple of hours to cook, so it’s not something to leave all day. It is a great slow cooker meal if you’re home a couple of hours before dinner but want something easy, or if you’re home with your kids and need your hands free. The fish came out flaky and moist, and was a healthy and filling meal along with steamed broccoli and brown rice.

Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Tilapia

Serves 3-4

Pull out a large sheet of aluminum foil. Place fillets in the middle (I had to stack mine to make it fit in my slow cooker), generously salt and pepper, and evenly divide butter pieces over fillets. Wrap foil around fish, sealing all sides, and cook on high for 2 hours.

*Or mix 2 T butter with 2 minced cloves of garlic and 2 t of chopped parsley.

17 Responses to “Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Tilapia”
  1. sabita writes:

Beautiful and simple like mine…short n yum…
    sabita recently posted Tofu Palakmy version of palak paneer-Spinach Tofu

2. Belinda @zomppa writes:

I bet that just falls right apart!! So flaky and buttery!

3. Medeja writes:

I dont know how to prepare fish at all :)) and this fish looks like quite healthy dish :)

4. Joy writes:

This looks fantastic! I just picked up some haddock at the market on Saturday and I am always looking for a slow cooker meal… it’s a perfect match! The simple nature of the garlic butter makes for an elegant meal. Looking forward to this one!
    Joy recently posted Apple Cinnamon Muffins

5. jan writes:

would like to know if you are wrapping each fillet with foil and then stacking the foil packages in the crockpot? can i put lemon in this recipe also.?? or do i stack the fillets on top of each other in one foil package?

@jan – I stacked the fillets and wrapped them up in one foil package. Lemon would be a great addition to the recipe. Enjoy!

7. Treat roundup… | The Ducking Fabulous Diary writes:

[...] looking garlic butter tilapia recipe (which you can replace with cod or any white fish if you [...]

8. Kendra writes:

Should I allow a longer cook time if cooking more than 4 filets?

9. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Kendra, how many are you cooking? You shouldn’t to increase the cooking time if you’re just adding 1 or 2.

10. 25 Slow Cooker Recipes with 3 Ingredients or Less writes:

[...] Garlic Butter Tilapia from 52 Kitchen Adventures [...]

11. Nathalie writes:

Is it really ok to put aluminum foil in the crockpot? I’m assuming that’s the slow cooker you’re referring to.Also, if I cook this in the oven how much time and at what temperature? Thank you.:-)

12. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Nathalie, yes you can use aluminum foil in a CrockPot. I haven’t made these recipe in an oven, so I can’t say how long and at what temp. I can say it works great in a CrockPot though!

13. Amber writes:

Is the cook time for fresh fish or frozen? I have frozen filets and wanted to know the cook time for frozen?

14. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Amber, it’s for fresh fish. You should thaw frozen meat before putting it in a slow cooker.

15. Good Eatin’. Cool Kitchen. | Beef and Sweet Tea writes:

[…] Crockpot Tilapia – Basically, place the fish on the foil, season, wrap, place in crockpot, turn on crockpot, walk away.  Enjoy fish done right in about 2 hours. […]

16. ymisiuki writes:

If I cook 8 fillets do I have to double the cooking time on the slow cooker?

17. Stephanie Saunders writes:

I haven’t tried it with 8 fillets, but I don’t think you’d have to double the cooking time. Just check to make sure they’re cooked all the way through after 2 hours.