Slow Cooker Monday: Hard Boiled Eggs

My giveaway ends tomorrow! Go enter now if you haven’t had a chance yet!

This is one of those ridiculously simple Crock Pot recipes. It seems a little unnecessary, cause you can hard boil eggs on your stove top in no time, but it serves a few purposes. When it’s really hot and you want to avoid your stove at all costs, the little slow cooker on your counter doesn’t emit much heat at all. Also, if you don’t want to worry about watching the pot or if you consistently have problems with cracked eggs, you can put them in your slow cooker and just totally forget about them. No need for a bowl of ice or waiting for water to boil. It seems foolproof and just really easy.

Slow Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs

• Eggs (up to as many fit in your slow cooker in a single layer)
  • Water

Place eggs in slow cooker. Fill with enough water to cover eggs and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours.

34 Comments on Slow Cooker Monday: Hard Boiled Eggs

1. Heidi @ Food Doodles
    April 4, 2011 at 10:14 am (4 years ago)

Interesting. I might just try this in the summer when it’s really hot. What’s even better, is I put my crockpot outside when it’s too hot. I have a plug in my back porch and I plug it in out there so it doesn’t heat my house at all. Perfect for cooking in the summer :)
    Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted Cuban Black Beans

2. Danica
    April 4, 2011 at 12:36 pm (4 years ago)

You make me think I should replace my old broken slow cooker. Also, can you just leave them in all day on low? Or do they get overcooked?

• Stephanie
      April 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm (4 years ago)

Danica – I’m not sure about leaving them in there all day. I’ll have to try it and get back to you!

3. Sandra
    April 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm (4 years ago)

Just in time for Easter! I have an award for you on my blog. Don’t forget to p;ick it up.
    Sandra recently posted Award Season Isn’t Over

4. Melissa
    April 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm (4 years ago)

Perfect for me who lives off the slow cooker due to kitchen reno! Thanks!

5. tony
    September 12, 2011 at 11:28 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for the knowledge.

6. sharon
    January 10, 2012 at 8:38 am (3 years ago)

This will save a lot of heat from the kitchen in the summer!! Thanks for sharing.

7. Sarah
    January 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm (3 years ago)

This is awesome! I recently moved into a new home and there is no stove. My kitchen is rather odd shape so I have to special order a range. I’ve been using a crock pot for everything! Who knew you could boil eggs! Thank you for posting!

8. Naomi
    April 5, 2012 at 8:14 pm (3 years ago)

I found this blog on Google. I put five dozen eggs into a large kettle and tried cooking them on a glass top range. I could not get the water to boil. This of course is a new stove for us and we have a party of sixty that we are getting ready for. When I realized I was in trouble I started searching for answers. I used your recommended 3.5 hours and the eggs turned out better then perfect! I never knew that eggs could be slow cooked, with or without the crock pot. Thanks for the tip.

9. Sandi
    April 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm (3 years ago)

This is such a simple idea. Sure glad that I came across your blog as I never could get hardboiled eggs right.

10. Amie
    August 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm (3 years ago)

We are renovating our kitchen and have been without a stove for a month…I have eggs in my crock pot now and I am soooo excited to have eggs on my salads again! Thank you so much! :)

• Stephanie
      August 15, 2012 at 8:51 am (3 years ago)

@Amie – perfect! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Good luck with your renovation!

11. Gary J. Bryan, Sr.
    September 18, 2012 at 10:03 am (3 years ago)

I am writing the find out what size eggs you are using? And, if you have the time table for larger eggs? Thank you for your time..

• Stephanie
      September 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm (3 years ago)

@Gary – I used large eggs. I don’t know if you’d need much more time for x-large – my guess is no but I haven’t tried it.

12. RE
    January 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm (2 years ago)

Since eggs are on special this week, this recipe will be very helpfull, thank you!

13. KC
    April 12, 2013 at 6:40 am (2 years ago)

Do you use cold, warm or hot water to cover the eggs?

14. JM
    May 4, 2013 at 2:51 pm (2 years ago)

I’d like to do this with eggs & potatoes to prep for potato salad!

15. Jennywren
    January 13, 2014 at 5:32 am (1 year ago)

My oldest is going to college and she loves hard boiled eggs. I off handed said I wonder if…. and I found this recipe! If they can do crockpots (I bet they can!) then this is going to be a life saver for her! Thanks!

16. Alice smith
    January 14, 2014 at 8:46 am (1 year ago)

I was so excited to try this. I did yesterday. When I cracked the first egg, it was just soft boiled. I put them back in for another two hours, and they were the same. What gives?

• Stephanie Saunders
      January 14, 2014 at 10:35 am (1 year ago)

Alice, it could be the size or temp of your slow cooker. Each one cooks at different temperatures. You could try setting it on high.

17. Carla
    January 25, 2014 at 10:55 am (1 year ago)

I’m glad to see this recipe. We are smelling gas with our oven so had to turn it off so have been without a stovetop and oven for a week. I’m not sure when we can get if fixed but have been wanting hard boiled eggs. I can’t wait to try this!

18. zack mann
    February 17, 2014 at 12:43 am (1 year ago)

When I tried this the egg shells did not come off easily for me. Should I try adding salt if I try this again? Or maybe using fresher eggs?

19. Gina
    March 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm (1 year ago)

Try taking a hot egg, roll it on the counter, press gently to crack the shell all over, then peel it under cold running water.

20. Jim Ketchum
    March 24, 2014 at 6:14 am (1 year ago)

I find that eggs about a week old work best. Just kinda press down with the palm of you hand (don’t flatten them out! LOL) and roll them on your countertop. Some times the shells will come off in two pieces. Also eggs seem to peel better left to right sometimes and other times right to left. If you are having trouble flip ‘em over and try again. (I love hard boiled eggs especially Deviled Eggs!)

21. cindy
    April 16, 2014 at 7:27 am (12 months ago)

How do you know when they are done?

22. Tammy
    July 17, 2014 at 8:50 am (8 months ago)

Any idea if this works in higher altitudes too?

• Stephanie Saunders
      July 19, 2014 at 3:06 pm (8 months ago)

Sorry Tammy, I’m not familiar with cooking at high altitudes, so I don’t know how they affect slow cooking.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Slow Cooker Monday: Hard Boiled Eggs

1. […] Slow Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs from 52 Kitchen Adventures […]

2. […] source of protein. Scrambled and sunny side up eggs can be made in the microwave in just minutes. Boiled and scrambled eggs can be made in your slow cooker, experimenting with the cooking length to find […]