Slow Cooker Monday: Hard Boiled Eggs

My giveaway ends tomorrow! Go enter now if you haven’t had a chance yet!

This is one of those ridiculously simple Crock Pot recipes. It seems a little unnecessary, cause you can hard boil eggs on your stove top in no time, but it serves a few purposes. When it’s really hot and you want to avoid your stove at all costs, the little slow cooker on your counter doesn’t emit much heat at all. Also, if you don’t want to worry about watching the pot or if you consistently have problems with cracked eggs, you can put them in your slow cooker and just totally forget about them. No need for a bowl of ice or waiting for water to boil. It seems foolproof and just really easy.

Slow Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs

• Eggs (up to as many fit in your slow cooker in a single layer)
  • Water

Place eggs in slow cooker. Fill with enough water to cover eggs and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours.

33 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Hard Boiled Eggs”
  1. Heidi @ Food Doodles writes:

Interesting. I might just try this in the summer when it’s really hot. What’s even better, is I put my crockpot outside when it’s too hot. I have a plug in my back porch and I plug it in out there so it doesn’t heat my house at all. Perfect for cooking in the summer :)
    Heidi @ Food Doodles recently posted Cuban Black Beans

2. Danica writes:

You make me think I should replace my old broken slow cooker. Also, can you just leave them in all day on low? Or do they get overcooked?

Danica – I’m not sure about leaving them in there all day. I’ll have to try it and get back to you!

4. Tiffany writes:

Another super great idea!
    Tiffany recently posted Vanilla-Saffron Shortbread

5. Sandra writes:

Just in time for Easter! I have an award for you on my blog. Don’t forget to p;ick it up.
    Sandra recently posted Award Season Isn’t Over

6. Winnie writes:

That is a really interesting idea! 3 1/2 hours seems like a really long time, but I’ll have to try this sometime.
    Winnie recently posted Black Rice Ochazuke with Crispy Salmon Skin

7. Magic of Spice writes:

Fantastic idea! I will have to try this out :)
    Magic of Spice recently posted Whats on the side Roasted Asparagus with Tomato and Mango Relish

8. Melissa writes:

Perfect for me who lives off the slow cooker due to kitchen reno! Thanks!

9. tony writes:

Thanks for the knowledge.

10. sharon writes:

This will save a lot of heat from the kitchen in the summer!! Thanks for sharing.

11. Sarah writes:

This is awesome! I recently moved into a new home and there is no stove. My kitchen is rather odd shape so I have to special order a range. I’ve been using a crock pot for everything! Who knew you could boil eggs! Thank you for posting!

12. Christina writes:

Glad to know this works! I want to hardboil Easter Eggs with my class (http://www.mommyknows.com/silk-tie-dye-easter-eggs-tutorial/) but since we don’t have a stove I wasn’t sure what the best course of action would be. Glad I came across your blog!

13. Naomi writes:

I found this blog on Google. I put five dozen eggs into a large kettle and tried cooking them on a glass top range. I could not get the water to boil. This of course is a new stove for us and we have a party of sixty that we are getting ready for. When I realized I was in trouble I started searching for answers. I used your recommended 3.5 hours and the eggs turned out better then perfect! I never knew that eggs could be slow cooked, with or without the crock pot. Thanks for the tip.

14. Sandi writes:

This is such a simple idea. Sure glad that I came across your blog as I never could get hardboiled eggs right.

15. Quora writes:

Is cooking “hard-boiled” eggs in the oven a good method?…

It definitely works, but it’s not my preferred method. It subjects the outside layers of the egg to very high temperatures, browning it and changing the flavor. Often, there’s a little brown spot where the egg contacts the metal surface it’s resting…

16. Amie writes:

We are renovating our kitchen and have been without a stove for a month…I have eggs in my crock pot now and I am soooo excited to have eggs on my salads again! Thank you so much! :)

@Amie – perfect! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Good luck with your renovation!

18. Gary J. Bryan, Sr. writes:

I am writing the find out what size eggs you are using? And, if you have the time table for larger eggs? Thank you for your time..

@Gary – I used large eggs. I don’t know if you’d need much more time for x-large – my guess is no but I haven’t tried it.

20. RE writes:

Since eggs are on special this week, this recipe will be very helpfull, thank you!

21. KC writes:

Do you use cold, warm or hot water to cover the eggs?

22. JM writes:

I’d like to do this with eggs & potatoes to prep for potato salad!

23. 25 Slow Cooker Recipes with 3 Ingredients or Less writes:

[...] Slow Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs from 52 Kitchen Adventures [...]

24. Jennywren writes:

My oldest is going to college and she loves hard boiled eggs. I off handed said I wonder if…. and I found this recipe! If they can do crockpots (I bet they can!) then this is going to be a life saver for her! Thanks!

25. Alice smith writes:

I was so excited to try this. I did yesterday. When I cracked the first egg, it was just soft boiled. I put them back in for another two hours, and they were the same. What gives?

26. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Alice, it could be the size or temp of your slow cooker. Each one cooks at different temperatures. You could try setting it on high.

27. Carla writes:

I’m glad to see this recipe. We are smelling gas with our oven so had to turn it off so have been without a stovetop and oven for a week. I’m not sure when we can get if fixed but have been wanting hard boiled eggs. I can’t wait to try this!

28. zack mann writes:

When I tried this the egg shells did not come off easily for me. Should I try adding salt if I try this again? Or maybe using fresher eggs?

29. Gina writes:

Try taking a hot egg, roll it on the counter, press gently to crack the shell all over, then peel it under cold running water.

30. Jim Ketchum writes:

I find that eggs about a week old work best. Just kinda press down with the palm of you hand (don’t flatten them out! LOL) and roll them on your countertop. Some times the shells will come off in two pieces. Also eggs seem to peel better left to right sometimes and other times right to left. If you are having trouble flip ‘em over and try again. (I love hard boiled eggs especially Deviled Eggs!)

31. cindy writes:

How do you know when they are done?

32. Tammy writes:

Any idea if this works in higher altitudes too?

33. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Sorry Tammy, I’m not familiar with cooking at high altitudes, so I don’t know how they affect slow cooking.