Slow Cooker Monday: Chickpea Curry

This is an easy and healthy vegetarian dinner you can spend a few minutes prepping the night before (chopping all the veggies), cook for a few minutes in the morning, and let your Crock Pot do the rest. Feel free to add different vegetables to suit your family’s preferences.

You’ll come home to a fragrant cloud of Indian spices. Cook up some quick rice and dinner is served.

Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry

• 2 T olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2-3 t curry powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t garam masala

In a small skillet, cook onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil until soft. Place in slow cooker with the remaining ingredients except garam masala. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in garam masala.

19 Responses to “Slow Cooker Monday: Chickpea Curry”
  1. Angie@Angiesrecipes writes:

I love chickpeas! I wonder who doesn’t:-)) ?
    The curry looks so very flavoursome and lipsmacking!
    Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted Chocolate Glazed Tart with Pistachios

2. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

This is a great dish – chickpeas love spice and I would be quite happy to lift the lid on a crock pot to be met with a heavenly cloud of Indian spices.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Ginger-roasted Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Crumble Topping – catch it while you can!

3. Adelina writes:

I wonder if you can use dry chickpeas… I wonder if it needs to sit overnight in water before cooking in the crock pot. If you have tested this method, let me know :)
    Adelina recently posted Food Revolution &amp Jamie Oliver’s Strawberry Salad with Prosciutto- Halloumi and Romaine

Adelina – you could definitely use raw beans, soaking them overnight first.

5. egb writes:

Great idea! Can’t wait to try this one out!
    egb recently posted Homemade Caramel Popcorn with Peanuts

6. Medeja writes:

Your curry looks colorful and really delicious. I like chickpea dishes.

7. Kate writes:

This looks awesome! I love an excuse to use my slow cooker and chickpea curry is such a unique way to do it!
    Kate recently posted Nutty Greens with Bacon and Blue Cheese

8. Jennifer (Delicieux) writes:

I love the idea of coming home to a home scented with the smells of a beautiful curry. Yum! This is a great way to put a slow cooker to good use.
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted Mushroom- Spinach &amp Feta Pie

9. Kita writes:

Love the sound of this dish. I can’t get enough of chickpeas or curries or any sort. I would have to add a bit of chicken or something to make the man happy but this dish sounds awesome to me!

10. Jennette writes:

We made this for dinner today. Everyone liked it, even my picky son who was pleasantly surprised. Next time I need to double it.

@Jennette – that’s great! Thank you for coming back to tell me!

12. Siobhan Landis writes:

Love chickpea curry! Yours looks like a good one, too, with the fresh garlic and ginger. The recipe I’ve been using lately also uses whole cloves (I’ve even tossed in whole cardamoms a few times) – give it a shot!

13. Kirsty writes:

Looks great! I just assembled and its cooking in the slow cooker! I’ll report back in 6 hours! I keep thinking I forgot a liquid or something but recipe doesn’t call for any so I’m good to go!

14. Chickpea Curry — 100 Days of Summer Slow Cooker Recipes writes:

[…] Click over to 52 Kitchen Adventures for this recipe and the instructions. […]

15. Arthur in the Garden! writes:

Yummy! On of my favs at the Indian buffet and now I can make them at home!
    Arthur in the Garden! recently posted When old becomes new…

16. Cindy writes:

The photo looks like it has tomatoes in it but the recipe doesn’t call for any. Did you add tomatoes?

17. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Cindy, that’s cooked bell pepper, not tomato.

18. Pip writes:

This looks delish. What size of crock pot was used?

19. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Thanks Pip! I made it in a 3 quart slow cooker. You could also double the recipe and make it in a larger one.