Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread

Ok…so I need to stop making desserts. At the time I made this, in my house I had homemade Nutella  pie, molten chocolate cookies, and See’s candy. Please send in suggestions for savory things I can make!

Despite my complaining, this homemade chocolate peanut butter is amazing and worth it (plus, it’s mostly nuts so it’s healthy, right?). Yocelyn, a reader, emailed me and asked me to recreate store-bought chocolate peanut butter. I’ve never actually had it, so I’m not positive if this tastes just like it or not, but this tastes like chocolate and peanut butter, so I think I’m on the right track.

It’s rich and thick, and eating a little with a spoon can be a very satisfying snack. Spread it on some warm toast and it becomes a creamy puddle of deliciousness. Hope this is what you were looking for, Yocelyn!

Chocolate Peanut Butter

• 1 C raw peanuts, shelled and skinned
  • 1/4 C unsweetneed cocoa powder
  • 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1/8 t salt

Preheat oven to 375°F. Roast peanuts around 10 minutes, until they darken (if you cannot find raw peanuts, still roast but for just a few minutes to further deepen flavor).

Place peanuts in food processor or blender. Process until they become almost liquified (be patient: first, it will grind up, then make a ball shape, then become smooth, and then look wet - it took at least 10 minutes). Add in cocoa power, powdered sugar, oil and salt and blend for a couple of minutes until thoroughly combined. Add more salt to taste and a little more oil if too thick. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. It may need stirring before serving.

28 Responses to “Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread”
  1. Dani writes:

Oo! Do chicken nuggets! In cool shapes!

Also, after reading that New York Times Magazine article about sugar causing cancer, and doing some research on alternatives, I suggest substituting stevia. The super-refined white kind has kind of a funky taste to me, but apparently if you can get it less refined (i.e. if it’s brown!) it doesn’t taste crazy. And instead of messing you up, it actually helps regulate blood sugar. And then you can do all the chocolate peanut butter spread you want!

2. Dani writes:

Oh, here is the article about sugar. It is awesome! Read it!

Dani recently posted Real Life Coins and 1-Ups

Dani – I briefly thought about chicken nuggets. I’ll put it back on my to-do list. I saw that NYT article and thought it was interesting. I just read about a low-glycemic sweetner on a blog – maybe it was xylitol, but now I can’t recall. Do you know anything about that one?

4. Dani writes:

I know nothing about xylitol, except that it sounds fake and disgusting! Which is pure gut reaction and not scientific at all :)
    Dani recently posted Real Life Coins and 1-Ups

5. Dani writes:

Also it sounds like it would be a better name for mouthwash than sweetener.
    Dani recently posted Real Life Coins and 1-Ups

6. Dani writes:

Internet thinks that xylitol is probably okay: http://www.google.com/search?q=xylitol+cancer+&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1+
    Dani recently posted Real Life Coins and 1-Ups

7. fooddreamer writes:

I feel you, I have pb bars, pb cookies and I am making some chocolate zucchini cake tomorrow! Your chocolate PB looks delicious, though.
    Make my chicken adobo if you are looking for something savoury, it’s delicious!
    fooddreamer recently posted Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes Healthy Breakfast for Kids

8. Sandra writes:

Who says you need to make savory, You’re doing just fine with the sweet side of life.

9. Sarah Schiffman writes:

If you keep making things like this there is no way I am going to steer you towards savory recipes. Ah-mazing!

10. daksha writes:

Wow! great, simple and quick recipe. thanks for sharing.

11. The Cilantropist writes:

Um, let me get this straight – you have never had chocolate peanut butter or you have never had nutella (which I know is hazelnuts, but still…) I really hope you have at least had nutella before because it is amazing! :) I love how rich and creamy and spreadable your chocolate peanut butter looks, and no reason to stop with the desserts now… keep it up!
    The Cilantropist recently posted Smashed Peas and Fava Beans with Fresh Mozzarella

12. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

Homemade Nutella pie? Molten chocolate cookies? and now homemade chocolate peanut butter spread? Your home sounds like a really great place to be. And yes, you are right – it’s mainly nuts so of course it’s healthy ;-)
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Catherine’s Italian Kitchen – simple- but magical

13. Kate writes:

Yum! This looks awesome. I would put this on everything!
    Kate recently posted Kates Caprese

14. Magic of Spice writes:

Definitely looks delicious and a bit addictive :)

15. Yocelyn writes:

Thank you so much!!!!!! I’m so excited to try it. You’re awesome

Yocelyn – You’re so welcome! I love making things for people and was so happy to get a reader request. I really hope you like it! Let me know when you try it.

Hester – Yes, my house was definitely the place to be for a sweet tooth. Luckily, I’ve gotten rid of most of them by sharing with friends and family. I can’t eat all that myself!

Cilantropist – No, no, I’ve had Nutella! And I recently made a homemade version (see here http://tinyurl.com/3e6ll9x). It is definitely amazing. The homemade version wasn’t quite as good as I remember store bought Nutella, so I think this just topped it. PB + chocolate really is heavenly, and it is creamier and more spreadable than the homemade Nutella.

Sandra – Thanks! For the sake of my waistline and health, I do think I need some more savory though ;) Don’t worry, I love baking and won’t stop anytime soon. In fact, homemade Oreos are on my to-do list for this weekend!

Sarah – Thanks! :)

Fooddreamer – that sounds like a great spread at your house. I checked out your chicken abodo and I can’t wait to make it!

22. Lauren at Keep It Sweet writes:

How could I not love this?

23. Kita writes:

I’ve been itching to try some home made spreads and sauces like this! This looks awesome.

24. Eat and Write writes:

I just found your blog through Foodista! I have to say one thing: why didn’t I think of making homemade chocolate peanut butter spread myself? It’s like the most amazing taste combination… ever. Definitely a new follower! Can’t wait to see what else you have up your sleeve :)
    Eat and Write recently posted herb fresh omelette

25. Charissa writes:

Oh my. Weak point. Big weak point. Haha, will have to try this sometime if I swear to not to eat it all in one sitting! ;)

26. carine writes:

You just killed me with your amazingly delicious looking photo….my chocolate peanut butter cravings are now boosting up to 110% !!
    carine recently posted Cantonese Tea-time pleasure蛋塔

27. Tam writes:

In my opinion the least offensive non-sugar sweetener is Whey Low.

28. Dani writes:

Hmm. I looked up Whey Low and found a lot of criticism of it – that it is made of fructose and sucrose and lactose, two of which mess up your insulin and, according to the NYT article, probably cause cancer, and that the only benefit is that SUPPOSEDLY the way they’re combined SOMEHOW makes you absorb less of each one??

I found a winner though – erythritol, which I’ve found at Whole Foods and similar places. It’s another “we made this out of sugar” product, but as far as I can tell it’s the only sweetener that definitely isn’t carcinogenic AND doesn’t taste bad.

I tried jam with xylitol in it and it tasted bad to me in the same way stevia does… weird sort of licorice-y bitter aftertaste. Yecch.