Gluten Free Molten Chocolate Chip Cookies

I received a request to make a gluten-free version of Richard Ruskell’s Food Network Challenge molten chocolate chip cookies. The recipe only contains a small amount of flour, so it seemed pretty simple. I swapped it out for Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (a combination of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour and fava bean flour), added a little xanthan gum, and ta-da! gluten-free molten chocolate cookies.

These cookies are so rich and insanely chocolatey. I omitted all the extraneous ingredients the original recipe (unusual ingredients like fennel were added as part of the Food Network Challenge), and didn’t miss them too much. I simply finished the cookies with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, and enjoyed the extreme chocolate-ness of them with a bit of saltiness to compliment the sweetness.

Gluten-Free Molten Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from recipe by Richard Ruskell, Executive Pastry Chef at Montage Beverly Hills

Makes 2 dozen cookies

• 4 oz. 64% chocolate, chopped
  • 7 oz. 72% chocolate, chopped
  • 1.5 oz. unsalted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 C granulated sugar
  • 1 t instant coffee or espresso powder
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/3 C gluten-free all-purpose baking flour, sifted (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
  • 1/8 t xanthan gum
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 4 oz. chocolate chips
  • Fleur de sel, as needed (optional)

Preheat oven to  350°F. Melt both types of chocolate and butter in the microwave or on a double boiler on the stove, then set aside.

With an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar until a ribbon forms. Mix in instant coffee and vanilla.

Stir together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the melted chocolate and the egg mixture. Stir in the flour mixture and the chocolate chips.

Allow batter to set for a few minutes. In the meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon and arrange 2″ apart on prepared sheet. Sprinkle with fleur de sel.

Bake for around 10 minutes (cookies will lose shine and then cracks will appear all over the surface). Remove from the oven and allow to rest before removing from the sheet.

Store cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for several days. Serve at room temperature or warmed up.

19 Responses to “Gluten Free Molten Chocolate Chip Cookies”
  1. Eda writes:

They look fab – just recently found your blog. Awesome recipes!

2. Paolo @ QuatroFromaggio writes:

I’d like to pass on this award to you, I hope you will accept it.

Your blog is just fabulous and your work is a true inspiration. Keep up the good work!

Paolo
    Paolo @ QuatroFromaggio recently posted Spaghetti Aglio- Olio e Peperoncino

3. Hester Casey - Alchemy writes:

I always feel that gluten-free is somehow lacking something. There is nothing missing from these lovely cookies though. Can’t wait to try.
    Hester Casey – Alchemy recently posted Lipsmacking Blarney Kisses – Mwah!

4. Sandra writes:

Thank you for taking out the fennel! This looks super chocolaty.
    Sandra recently posted Elegant White Chocolate Cake

5. Liz writes:

Oh, my!!! What gorgeous and decadent cookies!
    Liz recently posted Vanilla Eclairs Topped with Chocolate Ganache

6. daksha writes:

This looks more and more chocolaty,Can’t wait to try.

7. All That I'm Eating writes:

I’m not a Coeliac or gluten intolerant but I do like to avoid wheat sometimes – I eat too much of it! These would be perfect to make to take with lunch to work.
    All That I’m Eating recently posted Grannys Millionaires Shortbread

8. Morgan writes:

These look amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I’m never sure when I can substitute gluten-free flour for regular flour.

9. Andrea writes:

These look SO delicious. And decadent. So much dark chocolate! My favorite!

10. Maris (In Good taste) writes:

You really had me at the name of the cookies alone, but then when I saw the picture-wow!
    Maris (In Good taste) recently posted Easy Bread Recipe That Anyone Can Make- No-Knead Refrigerator Bread

11. Jennifer (Delicieux) writes:

These cookies look amazingly good!! You wouldn’t tell by looking at them that they are gluten free. Yum!
    Jennifer (Delicieux) recently posted Chocolate Strawberry Pots de Crème

12. Kita writes:

Goodness I am in such a cookie mood right now. These sound sooo yummy.

13. Kim - Liv Life writes:

As I sit here with my afternoon chocolate craving these cooking look darn tempting!! I’ll take seconds, please!!
    Kim – Liv Life recently posted Orange Pork Stir-Fry

14. Shelby writes:

Steph!! These look delicious! I will definitely have to try them! Anyways I just found your blog,(thanks to Danica’s fb post) and its AWESOME! so happy :)

Thanks Shelby! :)

16. Ann writes:

Just made these and they are absolutely delicious. Pity I have to share them, but it would be really mean not to!

17. Samantha writes:

I’m assuming the xanthen gum goes in with the dry goods?

@Samantha – yes, you’re correct. I updated the recipe. Thanks for catching my typo!

19. Molten Chocolate Cookies | Grunley Walsh writes:

[…] See the original recipe at 52 kitchen adventures:http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/04/15/gluten-free-molten-chocolate-ch… […]