How to Make Cupcake Wrappers

You know those cupcake liners that have really cool designs…and then you bake a cupcake in them, and the design disappears? Or it looks all brown and greasy? I’ve spent way too much time pondering which cupcake liners would look good after baking. When I entered a cupcake competition, the obsession went to a new level as I wanted to find an affordable but nice looking liner for 300 cupcakes.

I ended up using some greaseproof brown liners that I bought in bulk, but for regular batches of cupcakes, I want to make cupcakes a little prettier. I always eye cupcake wrappers, which come in all kinds of cool designs, but they’re surprisingly expensive. I found the perfect solution: make your own cupcake wrappers! It’s super easy and so much cheaper. Plus, you can make any color/design you want – just look through the scrapbooking aisle at your local craft store for a plethora of options!

Really, think about the cupcake wrapper possibilities: match to a party theme, use glitter paper, your favorite color, pattern, anything goes!

To make cupcake wrappers, you’ll need:

Scissors, cupcakes, pencil, clear tape or a glue stick, scrapbook paper and my free printable template. Optional: I recommend using some patterned scissors to add an even more special touch.

Step 1:

Print out cupcake wrapper template and cut it out.

Step 2:

Trace the template onto the back of your scrapbooking paper. (You could also print the template straight onto your paper, but this method saves you printer ink since you can use the template over and over.)

Step 3:

Cut out the traced shape. If you have patterned scissors, use them to cut the top part of the wrapper.

Step 4:

Roll the wrapper into a circle. Use a piece of clear tape or a little glue to attach the ends together.

Step 5:

Insert cupcake into your wrapper. Enjoy!

I have a unique type of cupcake wrapper I’m working on and I’ll share that template in a few weeks! Until then, tell me: what color/pattern of paper do you want to use for homemade cupcake wrappers?

28 Responses to “How to Make Cupcake Wrappers”
  1. Becca from It's Yummilicious writes:

OMGosh… who knew they were so easy to make?! Thanks SO much for the great idea and template, Stephanie!
    Becca from It’s Yummilicious recently posted FUN WITH FOOD – Hot Dog Splits

@Becca – right?! They are SO easy and it’s so much cheaper! Enjoy :)

3. Naomi A writes:

Thanks! I always admire a perfectly prim cupcake display!
    Naomi A recently posted My Recent Projects

4. Lauren Razz writes:

The cupcake wrappers I want to make are…..PINK GLITTER wrappers!!! Are your surprised by my answer? ;)

5. The HUngry Mum writes:

Genius! Bookmarking this. Might see if I can personalise them with my daughters’ names for their party.
    The HUngry Mum recently posted Rich but easy Bailey’s chocolate birthday cake

6. Jen @ Savory SImple writes:

This is great! I saw similar pre-made wrappers for sale but this is way more impressive (and less expensive)!
    Jen @ Savory SImple recently posted Peach Gazpacho (KitchenAid Blender Review)

7. How to Make Your Own Cupcake Wrappers | Food and Family writes:

[...] Personalized Cupcake Wrappers from 52 Kitchen Adventures. Uses scrapbooking paper and includes downloadable [...]

8. Brenda writes:

Thank you so much for sharing these! I must admit to using my favorite bakery for the cupcakes themselves (they do a much better job and can make buttercream look like popcorn. ‘Nuff said.) I looked all over the place for wrappers that fit the theme of the party and the cupcakes and found nada. You rescued me and for that I am absolutely grateful.

9. Annie writes:

That is so cool!!! Very fun to do with friends too!
    Thanks a ton for sharing.

@Annie – there’s so much you can do with these! It would be fun to make them with friends for sure. Thanks for stopping by!

11. kaden writes:

sooo, can you bake them with the batter, like cupcake liners ? no ?

@kaden – no, they’re not quite like liners and I wouldn’t bake in them. I usually use plain white liners to bake and then put the wrappers over them.

13. Halloween Cupcake Wrappers | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] yet this year for Halloween, which is coming up in a few weeks. Not too long ago, I showed you how to make personalized cupcake wrappers and how to make fortune cupcake wrappers. What better day than Halloween, the mother of all sugar [...]

14. Peggy writes:

Thank you soooo much for the free template! I have been looking for this. Love you site :)

15. Tracy writes:

I want to make Mickey and friends cupcake wrappers.

16. maria writes:

just curious , do you lift the cupcake with them and if you do , does it then slide off it ? because i just dont get how its practically used?

thanks

17. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Maria, you wrap them around the cupcake and seal them with tape (or glue if you want), so there’s a snug fit and you can lift it with the cupcake. Then you just slide the cupcake out the wider end when you’re ready to eat it. Does that make sense?

18. maria writes:

thank you , yes it does make sense , but i have seen some rather intricate ones on other sites and i am confused because they look a bit too delicate for me to even lift the cupcake , but they look so wonderful

19. how to make heart cake withouth heart pan | Crunchy Creamy Sweet writes:

[...] If you know Stephanie’s blog, you know that she shares amazing tutorials for cake and cupcake decorating and some of the most adorable dessert treats you have ever seen! I love her post on making a cupcake bouquet or how to make your own cupcake wrappers! [...]

20. Carrie writes:

It’s so great to see this tip shared on making cupcakes even more beautiful! Always important to us for our special occasions. The cupcake community is the best. If you want to make it simple, here are some cupcake wrappers in a variety of styles and even mini’s. http://www.bellacupcakecouture.com/category_1/Cupcake-Wrappers.htm.
    Carrie recently posted Get Lucky! St. Patrick’s Day Cupcake Wrappers

21. Princess writes:

This is a great tutorial. I also know that there’s a website called http://www.freecupcakewraps.com. There are loads of free cupcake wrappers on their site and you can upload your photos to their wrappers. I used them to make custom cartoon wrappers for my daughters birthday.

22. Ummi writes:

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this great tutorial. Can I share this posting in my blogsite?I will include your link too…

23. Cupcake Papers | olivia ripley taylor writes:

[...] More Homemade Cupcake Papers [...]

24. Ann writes:

Thank you so much for this great idea. I have ordered scissors to do the tops, can’t wait to make my own!

25. Caddie writes:

I agree – they are so expensive! So glad you shared :) Thanks
    Caddie recently posted Meanwhile, at a restaurant in South Africa…

26. amy writes:

Thank you!!! DIY-ing my son’s pirate themed party, so these will make great boat bases.

27. mia writes:

pikachu cupcakes!!!!!

28. kayley writes:

These are so cute I love them!