Last week I shared this incredibly easy 7 minute salted caramel and you know I couldn’t just let that sit around in my fridge for long. I made some brownies and covered them in this decadent sauce, with a nice sprinkle of fleur de sel on top to really bring out the salty and sweet combo. The brownies are extra rich when topped with caramel, so I cut them into small, bite sized pieces. Of course, you can’t really eat just one
I brought these into a meeting and they were a definite hit. I feel like anything becomes great when coated with salted caramel, but these brownies are good on their own too – they’re moist and chewy. Together with the creamy caramel, it’s like heaven in each bite!
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Easy Salted Caramel
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare the brownies: Preheat oven to 350° F and coat a 8″x8″ pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large heat proof bowl, melt chocolate and butter together by microwaving in 20 seconds intervals, stirring in between until smooth (alternatively, you can place bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until smooth).
- Add cocoa powder and sugar to melted chocolate mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring in between until each is fully incorporated.
- Add flour and salt, then stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread until evenly distributed. Bake for around 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist clumps clinging to it.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare the salted caramel: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together butter, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 6 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in vanilla (be careful, it will bubble up) and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and place in fridge to cool.
- Pour over cooled brownies, then sprinkle with fleur de sel or flaky sea salt.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, until caramel has completely cooled and thickened. Store in fridge until ready to serve.