Irish Coffee Cupcakes

This week  I made homemade versions of two typically store-bought items: first chocolate syrup, then Irish cream. I’ve put those to use and made a perfect St. Patrick’s Day cupcake: Irish coffee cupcakes! This is a great treat to bring to work on St. Paddy’s day: it won’t get you buzzed, but you get a little taste of liquor. For those of you who don’t know, Irish coffee is coffee spiked with sugar, whiskey and sometimes Irish cream, then topped with thick cream.

The base is a simple coffee cupcake. I replaced the milk in the original recipe with Irish cream. You could try adding a little whiskey in place of some of the Irish cream for a stronger whiskey taste. The batter tasted strongly of coffee but once baked, it was a fairly subtle taste; I might try adding more coffee and Irish cream next time.

While I usually prefer a buttercream frosting on cupcakes, whipped cream is much more representative of Irish coffee. This whipped cream is lightly sweetened and spiked with whiskey or Irish cream. Topping the cupcakes with some chocolate syrup adds a nice sweetness to this barely sweet cupcake. Slàinte!

Irish Coffee Cupcakes

• 1/2 C packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs

For the frosting:

• 1 C heavy cream
  • 2 T powdered sugar
  • 1 T Irish cream or whiskey

Preheat oven to 350°F. Position a rack in the center of the oven and line a muffin tin with liners.

To make the cupcakes:

In a small bowl, pour boiling water over instant coffee and let cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Once coffee is cooled, add Irish cream. Beat softened butter with both types of sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with espresso-milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour.

Fill cups of muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake around 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.

To make the frosting:

Whisk the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until medium peaks form. Add Irish cream or whiskey and continue to mix until slightly stiff peaks form. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired.

21 Responses to “Irish Coffee Cupcakes”
  1. Elyse @The Cultural Dish writes:

These look absolutely beautiful! Love the chocolate drizzled on top – great idea!
    Elyse @The Cultural Dish recently posted Beer Battered Fish and Chips

2. Becky writes:

These cupcakes are gorgeous, and I can taste the Irish Cream in the cupcakes, Yum! I can’t wait to make these. Thanks for sharing!
    Becky recently posted Spicy Coconut Soup with Broccoli and Shrimp

3. Sandra writes:

Aren’t these just the cutest little treats.I’d love to scoop up the frosting with my finger first, then dive into the cake. YUM!

4. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs writes:

Your cupcakes look delicious! I think these would be the perfect dessert after a heavier meal of corned beef, cabbage, and mashed potato.
    Felice – All That’s Left Are The Crumbs recently posted To Try Tuesday – Portuguese Custard Tarts

5. Sarah Schiffman writes:

Well these look just lovely! I am loving your posts and looking forward to reading more…even though it might force me to retire my skinny jeans :)
    Sarah Schiffman recently posted The Comfort Month

6. Medeja writes:

You know I admire you for all those home made things.. :) and them combining them..

7. daksha chopra writes:

This looks so beautiful;)

8. Firefly writes:

I saw coffee and came running :D they look so yummy!

9. Rochelle (Acquired Taste) writes:

This sounds like a delicious way to sweeten up St. Paddy’s day :)
    Rochelle (Acquired Taste) recently posted Blackberry Vanilla Panna Cotta and Florentine Cookies – A Daring Bakers Challenge

10. Medifast Coupon Code 2011 writes:

Well I know what I am making this weekend, I have got to try making your Irish Cream and then these cupcakes, awesome, thanks so much for sharing.
    Medifast Coupon Code 2011 recently posted Top Reasons to Follow the Medifast 5 &amp 1 Plan Strategies

11. Liz writes:

Yum…I am just imagining the fabulous flavor and getting hungrier by the second! Beautiful cupcakes~
    Liz recently posted Beggars Linguine

12. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking writes:

Oh my, now this is my kind of St. Patrick’s Day celebration! These little cakes are to die for! Thanks for sharing.

13. Lindsey at Burn Me Not writes:

These cupcakes look fabulous! A perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day!
    Lindsey at Burn Me Not recently posted Banana Whoopie Pies

14. Island Vittles writes:

great presentation! these would make me very happy on St. Paddy`s Day! Theresa
    Island Vittles recently posted Caramelized Onion Beer Bread

15. Angie's Recipes writes:

Those cupcakes look divine!
    Angie’s Recipes recently posted Roasted Chicken Salad with Pear and Walnuts

16. kita writes:

I am slacking with my love of St. Pattys day recipes but I love Irish cream and these look great. :)

17. C&C Cakery writes:

I’m totally with you on this one – there is no need to pump green food colouring into your St. Patty’s Day desserts. We get enough of that stuff in our green beer, eh? These cupcakes are simple, delicious, and very festive! Thanks for sharing! (and that’s the best Irish Cream recipe I’ve seen this year!0
    C&C Cakery recently posted The Green Thumb- Sweet Pea Cupcakes with Sour Cream Frosting and Candied Mint

18. Tiffany writes:

These cupcakes look wonderful!
    Tiffany recently posted ‘Creamy’ Roasted Fennel Puree

19. Dani writes:

I still can\’t believe that you made your own chocolate syrup and THEN made your own irish cream out of it and THEN made cupcakes out of that!!! You are a superstar!!! *does jazz hands*

20. Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com writes:

Hello! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! Just made it the other day!

21. 90 St. Patrick's Day Sweets & Treats - Cupcakes & Kale Chips writes: