Homemade Irish Cream

Yesterday I shared how I made homemade chocolate syrup. I actually made that specifically to use in today’s recipe – homemade Irish cream! This is a ridiculously easy recipe that makes me question buying Bailey’s ever again. It tastes better, you can make as much as you need, and adjust how much whiskey (or any other ingredient) is in it. Want a really strong drink? Add more whiskey. Want something a bit sweeter? Add more chocolate syrup and less whiskey.

Use it to make a superb Irish coffee, white Russian, or enjoy it on the rocks. And, as with my last homemade liquor, I found a way to incorporate it into baking. Look out tomorrow for some cupcakes that are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! (Update: check them out out – Irish Coffee Cupcakes here!)

Homemade Irish Cream

• 1 C heavy cream
  • 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/3 C Irish whiskey (I used Jameson)
  • 2 T chocolate syrup
  • 1 t instant coffee
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 t almond extract

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend for 1 minute. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to one month.

48 Responses to “Homemade Irish Cream”
  1. Wheels writes:

I swear, almost everything you post makes me want to move home and move in with you so I can eat all your yummy food!

Wheels – This actually made me lol. Yay! So glad you’re enjoying my blog. I’ll try to save you some Irish cream :)

3. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking writes:

My mother enjoys a White Russian once in a while, and I know she would flip for this! Wonderful recipe. I should make this for her sometime! Thanks for sharing.

4. Becky writes:

I love Bailey’s and coffee. I have to make this, so much more economical.
    Even my dog is named Bailey, because she is the color of Bailey’s Irish cream
    Becky recently posted Spicy Coconut Soup with Broccoli and Shrimp

5. Becky writes:

I love Bailey\\\’s and coffee. I have to make this, so much more economical.
    Even my dog is named Bailey, because she is the color of Bailey\\\’s Irish cream
    Becky recently posted Spicy Coconut Soup with Broccoli and Shrimp

6. Cooking Rookie writes:

Ok, I’m saving this to my favorites, it should be so good. And I’ll send it to Stumble Upon too, to share the joy. LOVE your revipes :-).
    Cooking Rookie recently posted Coleslaw- Sweet Coleslaw

7. penny aka jeroxie writes:

Is that it?? I am making my own! How long can it store for?
    penny aka jeroxie recently posted SBS Food Journey 2011

Georgia – I hope your mom enjoys it!

Becky – love the name. My rabbit is named after a food too – Cinnamon, my favorite spice and the color of her fur when we got her (she’s a bit darker now).

Cooking Rookie – thank you for adding this to Stumble Upon! I really appreciate that :)

Penny – great question. Based in my research, it looks like this will last up to one month if stored tightly covered in the fridge.

9. Mika writes:

Oh, I love irish cream! This is a wonderful recipe and I’m sure it is so much better than the original…
    Mika recently posted Käsespätzle

10. Cakewhiz writes:

This looks so easy to prepqre and is perfect for st.patty’s day!

Btw, i am going to be making your spinach lasagna tomorrow….so excited :D
    Cakewhiz recently posted Marshmallow kabobs

11. Medeja writes:

I love Irish cream.. Great idea to make it at home :)

12. Peggy writes:

I love what you’ve done with the chocolate syrup! You’ve reminded me that I haven’t had a White Russian in forever and that I need to make this irish cream pronto!
    Peggy recently posted Meyer Lemon Poundcake Cupcakes

13. Liz writes:

I’ve toyed with making this as Christmas gifts….I’m going to do it now! Excellent post!!!
    Liz recently posted Orange Pull-Apart Coffee Cake

14. Celia writes:

Such genius! I often use Irish Cream in cocktails…but this look so delicious it could stand on its own. Thanks for sharing!

Cakewhiz – Hope you enjoy the lasagna! Let me know how it turns out.

Liz- This would be a great Christmas or hostess present! Easy to make but I think people would be impressed.

16. Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite writes:

You have absolutely made my day! and my bfs too since I just mentioned this to him. I am almost out of Baileys, well Emmets actually it was a bit cheaper. I was contemplating on buying another bottle which is still $16, but now I can make my own thanks to you! BTW, how long do you think this would last in the fridge?

Jess – should last up to one month covered in the fridge. Enjoy!

18. Sandra writes:

I am loving your recipes. Can’t wait for the cupcakes!
    Sandra recently posted Sugar High Bakery Tres Leche Cupcake

19. Lindsey at Burn Me Not writes:

I am literally an hour late reading this post… I just bought a bottle of Bailey’s! I’m definitely holding onto to this recipe for the future. Thanks for sharing!
    Lindsey at Burn Me Not recently posted Banana Whoopie Pies

20. Keith writes:

This recipe sounds fantastic! I just ran out of Bailey’s, and I think this is going to be my replacement.
    If it’s alright with you, I’m going to cover this recipe (and my attempts at making it) on my cocktail blog. Thanks again for sharing this recipe!

21. hannah writes:

oh man, i really could use that right now.

22. Bracelets homme writes:

Thanks for sharing this recipe !

23. Strawberry Mojitos (Plus a Food Processor Giveaway!) | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] you want more cocktail inspiration, check out my recipes for homemade Irish cream, citron vodka, and limoncello. I also made cupcakes out of the homemade liquors too (of course);  […]

24. Shawna Wilkinson writes:

Absolutely love it! I made some for our home as well as many for gifts. Thank you for sharing!

25. Codi Carpenter writes:

Is there a way to make this non-alcoholic?

@Codi – I’ve never tried it, but I think you could just omit the whiskey. Here is a recipe I found through a quick Google search: http://www.chefsline.com/blog/quick-tips/non-alcoholic-irish-cream/ Let me know how it turns out!

27. Justin writes:

This is great! A friend used your recipe for both the syrup and the irish cream and they came out fantastic! It was so good I’m going to give them a go…thanks :)

28. Perry writes:

Is this a little thicker than Bailey’s Irish Cream

@Perry – yes, it’s thicker than Bailey’s.

30. Guinness and Chocolate Cake Pops | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] for more Irish recipes for St. Patrick’s Day, check out my Irish coffee recipe and my (surprisingly easy) recipe for homemade Irish cream, which I used to make Irish coffee […]

31. Jody writes:

And now I know what I’m making for my mom for Mother’s day! She loves Baileys, but rarely buys it. Just need to find a nice bottle for it now…. :D

32. richard writes:

Hi Stephanie,
    The recipe calls for heavy cream. Do you use wipping cream or do you use the cream with less fat

33. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Richard, I think either heavy cream or whipping cream would work just fine.

34. Angela writes:

Question, does the “T” stand for tablespoon or teaspoon? Also, how large of a jar (how many ounces) should I buy to put this in? I’d love to make a few of these to hand out as Christmas presents!! :)

35. Czyzler writes:

I really enjoyed your homeade chocolate syrup recipe. I used it today. I make our Irish Cream very similar, but add a little kick to it. This is the recipe that floats around my family. Give it a shot.

2 C heavy cream
    14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 C Irish whiskey (Jameson)
    1/2 C Everclear
    2 T chocolate syrup
    2 tbs instant coffee
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp almond extract

36. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Angela, uppercase “T” = tablespoon, lowercase “t” = teaspoon. It makes a little over 30 ounces. Enjoy!

37. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Czyzler, that sounds like it has a nice kick to it! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

38. Amy writes:

Can I substitute the whiskey with anything to still get the taste?

39. Bailey writes:

Hello! I was wondering where you got the glass bottles for the Bailey’s? I can’t seem to find those exact ones anywhere and now I’m just obsessing.

40. Ashley writes:

Omg me too! Where are these jars? jugs? bottles? What would you call them? I NEED them for Christmas and I can’t find them anywhere!

41. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Bailey & Ashley, unfortunately I bought the bottle at a local grocery store and I haven’t found anything similar online. I’ve used bottles like this one for other homemade liqueurs.

42. Ashley writes:

Hi!
    I found them!!!
    About $10/bottle.

43. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Ashley, that’s awesome!! Thanks for sharing the link with us! :)

44. DIY Hot Cocoa Mix and Marshmallows | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] DIY gift ideas: Cookie mix, chai tea mix,  Irish cream, or make a rainbow out of melted […]

45. Susan writes:

We will try this for sure, sounds great!!

46. 30 Homemade Edible Gifts - 52 Kitchen Adventures | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] Irish Cream from 52 Kitchen Adventures […]

47. green coffee max 800 writes:

green coffee max 800

Homemade Irish Cream | 52 Kitchen Adventures

48. Timothy Perkins writes:

Your recipes make me fat just from reading the ingredients, looks like I’m making this as the weekend :)