Slow Cooker Squash Lasagna

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Crock Pot invited me to create a video for their Crock-Star Confessions. My video will be up on the Crock Pot Facebook page this Saturday, October 29. Today I’m giving you guys a sneak peak of the recipe from my video, but be sure to check out the page on Saturday because you can enter to win a slow cooker or $2500 in cash!

I’ve made a lot of interesting and crazy things in my slow cooker (like pumpkin bread, play dough, roasted nuts, etc.) but I chose to highlight lasagna in my “confession” because when I posted a slow cooker spinach lasagna, people were so surprised. It is a surprising thing to make in a slow cooker. Even better, you don’t have to boil the noodles – you just layer everything, turn it on and come back in a few hours to a fantastic dinner.

Slow Cooker Squash Lasagna

This lasagna recipe has a seasonal and healthy twist, using squash, whole wheat noodles and a relatively small amount of mozzarella. For more traditional lasagna, replace squash and sage mixture with a 25 oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce. See my recipe for slow cooker spinach lasagna for more info.

Makes 4-6 servings

• 1 package of regular whole wheat lasagna noodles (I’ve used the “no boil” kind in the slow cooker too and both that and regular noodles work, so use whatever you have on hand)
  • 2 10-oz. packages of frozen pureed squash or 2 cups of fresh pureed squash*
  • ½ teaspoon of dried rubbed sage
  • 1 15-oz. container of part skim ricotta cheese
  • ½ cup of milk
  • ¼ cup of parmesan, grated
  • ¼ – ½ cup of part skim mozzarella, shredded
  • A few handfuls of spinach (optional)
Note: you don’t have to add extra water. The slow cooker steams the noodles just fine on its own.

Directions

In a bowl, combine squash with sage. Add salt and pepper to taste.  In another bowl, combine ricotta with milk and parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Coat the inside of a 5-6 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place a layer of noodles at the bottom (you will have to break them to make them fit – don’t worry about using little pieces to fill in crevices, it will come out just fine).  Cover with half of the squash mixture, spreading it evenly. Place another layer of noodles on top, then a layer of spinach and half of the ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, ending with ricotta. Sprinkle mozzarella on top. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours (until noodles are tender).

* To use fresh squash, cut in half, remove seeds and roast in a 400°F oven for around 45 minutes or until soft. Let cool, then scoop out flesh and puree in blender or food processor.

31 Responses to “Slow Cooker Squash Lasagna”
  1. Jen @ A Touch og Lovely writes:

Mmmmm! I’ve never heard of squash lasagna before but it sounds soooo good!

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet writes:

This lasagna looks and sounds amazing… even better that it is cooked in the crockpot!

3. Kim Bee writes:

Oh man this looks so good. Such a cool and unique twist on lasagna. Really loving this one.

4. Lindsey@Lindselicious writes:

You are totally the crockpot queen! This looks amazing I cant wait to see your video.

5. foodie @ Tasting Spot writes:

new idea… never thought of squash in a lasagna… sounds great though

6. Anna writes:

The most unique I can go with lasagna is my eggplant lasagna…I never knew you guys could come up with more exquisite and nutritious versions such as Squash Lasagna. I am sure this is gonna be great. I am keeping in touch ;)

7. Carol Egbert writes:

This is quite an amazing recipe. Have you ever done it with tomato sauce as well? What kind of squash did you use?

@Carol – I added a note to the recipe. Here is my recipe for regular slow cooker lasagna. I used a frozen package of winter squash. Use your favorite squash – butternut, acorn, etc. I think they’d all taste good.

9. Rosa McNeely Ashby writes:

Do you pre cook the noodles first (I am assuming you do) otherwise, there is not enough liquid? Just thinking..:-)
    Sounds like a slimming world recipe…:D VERY TASTY IM sure

10. Mary Lou writes:

This sounds really good. However I wish that you would have included the Nutrition Information. Being Diabetic this is very importatnt to me. Thank You

@Rosa – no, actually you don’t pre-cook the noodles. That’s part of the charm and easiness of this recipe. The slow cooker cooks it just fine with no additional liquid (probably because it basically steams everything).

@Mary Lou – I don’t have the nutritional information for my recipes but I believe there are sites where you can figure this out easily by imputing the ingredients.

13. Abby Mae writes:

Stephanie,
    I favorited this page about a week ago & finally had time today to make this! It’s in my crock pot for dinner right now, and I can’t wait to taste it. It was a really simple recipe. I’m planning to try your granola one soon too. Keep em’ coming! These are perfect for a college student on a budget with no time…who still likes to eat healthfully.

Peace & Love,

Abby

@Abby Mae – that’s great, I hope you enjoy the lasagna!

15. kita writes:

I have got to jump on board with slow cooker lasagna this year. I pretty much have a shrine set up for my slow cooker anyway so its bout time I took on this challenge. I checked their facebook page and you were right at the top! Way to go :)

16. Karla writes:

Hi Stephanie,
    Love the idea of making lasagna in the crockpot!!! I’ve read through the comments and just want to make sure I’m clear on the noodles. Do you use “no boiling required” pasta or do you use regular pasta? I’d love to try this dish and have some friends over! BTW, I love your blog!

@Karla – I’ve tried it with both kinds of noodles (including regular whole wheat noodles) and it works either way. Use whatever you have on hand. Enjoy!

18. Easy Vegetarian Lasagna writes:

this looks very delicious . i`m sure my wife will love it as i plan to make that for the weekend dinner. thanks

19. Kayla writes:

This lasagne dish looks absolutely stunning! I will be trying this recipe out this weekend as my husband wants me to use a different lasagne recipe. Thanks again!

20. Rona writes:

Can I add tomato sauce to this or will it be too moist? Also, I usually use a mozzarella and egg mix in place of ricotta. Should I still use the milk?

@Rona – you can replace the squash mixture with tomato sauce – click here for my recipe for traditional lasagna in a slow cooker. If you want to use both, I’d halve the squash recipe and use less tomato sauce than normal. If you usually use mozzarella and egg instead of ricotta, I would stick with it and not use milk.

22. 77 Healthy Crock-Pot Recipes | Greatist writes:

[…] 53. Squash Lasagna This nontraditional lasagna gets a healthy kick from whole-wheat noodles, part-skim ricotta and mozzarella cheese, puréed squash, and spinach. […]

23. 77 Healthy Crockpot Recipes! | Nicole Jones Fitness writes:

[…] Squash Lasagna This nontraditional lasagna gets a healthy kick from whole-wheat noodles, part-skim ricotta and […]

24. Elaine writes:

It would be nice to be able to print the recipe

25. stephanie writes:

so i had never had squash before till i made this recipe for the first time last month. my husband and i loved it so much and i’ll be making it again in a few minutes. i used a much smaller squash and i didn’t bake it . i think i just pureed it raw and it came out fine. i have a much bigger squash today so i will bake that one. anyway this recipe was amazing so i’m excited to do it today with whole wheat noodles :D

26. Awesome Vegetarian Recipes for the Slow Cooker | Favorite Food RecipesFavorite Food Recipes writes:

[…] at 52kitchenadventures.com  (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); TagsAwesome Vegan Recipes for […]

27. 36 Ways with Fall Produce - Savvy Eats writes:

[…] Slow cooker squash lasagna from 52 Kitchen Adventures […]

28. myQcare 32 Crock-Pot Recipe Ideas for Any Occasion | myQcare writes:

[…] Alpine Chicken Casserole Chicken Enchilada Stack Easy Pork Carnitas Honey Garlic Chicken Salsa Verde Chicken Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Spicy Turkey Lasagna Vegetable Lasagna with Squash […]

29. 75 Healthy & Nutritious Dinner Recipes | Fitness Bootcamp Singapore - Lose Weight and Fat Loss - Singapore Personal Trainer writes:

[…] 19. Slow Cooker Squash Lasagna – Lasagna from a crock pot? This recipe uses just enough mozzarella to make it taste the way it should, but without ruining the healthiness of the dish. You don’t have to cook the noodles before they go in, so this is not only delicious, but easy as well. They say adding spinach is optional, but that would simply make it more healthy and beneficial for you. […]

30. 77 Healthy Crock-Pot Recipes - writes:

31. 21 Things You Won’t Believe You Can Make With A Slow Cooker - Homemade Recipes writes:

[…] via 52kitchenadventures.com […]