Heart Sugar Cookies

I keep seeing red and pink hearts everywhere – in store displays, on Pinterest, and all over the blogosphere. That can only mean one thing: it’s almost Valentine’s Day. I know that some people hate this holiday but I figure at the least it’s an excuse to eat something sweet. At it’s best, it’s a time to celebrate love and show your loved ones how much you care and appreciate them. Either way you look at Valentine’s, this recipe will work for you. You can bake some cookies for yourself to enjoy and/or share them with your friends and family. It’s a win-win.

Plus, there are infinite ways to decorate the cookies. First, you can make the icing any color and then you can leave it plain (like the ones above). Or you can…

add some colored sprinkles or…

a variety of sprinkles!

This is where my hoarding of sprinkles comes in handy. I don’t know how I came to own so many different types of sprinkles but I finally found a way to use them. Plus, I got this adjustable rolling pin with removable discs for Christmas and now making dough is so easy! I used to have such a hard time rolling it out evenly and to the right thickness. I have a feeling I’ll be making a lot more sugar cookies in the near future.

I love love love this sugar cookie recipe. To me it’s perfect; the cookies are soft and buttery. However, I’m still looking for the perfect royal icing recipe. With my first batch of cookies (seen here), I used a simple powdered sugar glaze, but the pink icing turned white a few days later. On my second batch, I used Bake at 350′s trusted royal icing recipe, but it finished dull and the outline was a little brittle. Do you have a royal icing recipe that you love? Please share it with me!

So, what’s the verdict on Valentine’s Day? Are you boycotting it this year or celebrating it big? And, more importantly, are you going to be baking anything special?

P.S. If you’re looking for other things to bake, try my heart cake pops, flourless chocolate cupcakes, or really any dessert in my recipe box. Plus, here’s a roundup of 21 delicious desserts for your Valentine.

RECIPE:

Perfect Sugar Cookies

Adapted from Alton Brown

Makes around 3 1/2 dozen cookies

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
  • Cookie cutters

Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and milk. With mixer on low speed, gradually add dry ingredients and mix until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide dough in half, roll into 2 balls and wrap in saran wrap or wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375°F and remove one of the dough balls from the refrigerator. Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a rolling pin and a clean, flat surface. Place dough on top of powdered sugar and roll out to 1/4″ thickness, moving dough around frequently to ensure it’s not sticking.

Cut dough into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, until cookies just begin to brown around the edges. Let cool before icing. (I used the royal icing recipe from Bake at 350 - check out her fantastic photo tutorial on making it.)

17 Responses to “Heart Sugar Cookies”
  1. Melissa @ Melissa's Antiques writes:

My favorite Royal Icing recipe:

In a bowl of an electric mixer combine:

4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    3 TB meringue powder
    10 TB of warm water

Beat for 8 minutes on low speed
    Melissa @ Melissa’s Antiques recently posted Thrift Store Picks from this Weekend

@Melissa – thank you! I’ll try this recipe next.

3. Lauren writes:

I loved these so much! All your sprinkles are so cute :)

4. Living The Sweet Life writes:

I love the idea of celebrating love, but I think you should do it all the time. Or just out of the blue ( so much cuter). What adorable cookies :)
    Living The Sweet Life recently posted Good news and … What’cha think: A Skotidakis Greek Yogurt Product Review

@Lauren – thanks! I love the sprinkles too :)

@Living the Sweet Life – I agree with you! You should tell and show your loved ones you care for them all the time.

7. Faythe writes:

About how many cookies does this make? I am trying them today! Very excited

@Faythe – makes around 3 1/2 dozen, depending on how big you make them. Have fun!

9. bridget {bake at 350} writes:

Hi there! Thanks for the shout-out! I’m always a sucker for heart cookies! :)

The brittle icing you mentioned is typically caused by it being overbeaten. Beat it *just until* it reaches a peak, then stop. Also, using a paddle attachment versus a whisk attachment helps.

Happy baking!
    bridget {bake at 350} recently posted Orange Blossom Cut-out Cookies

10. Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} writes:

i have tried both Bridget @ Bakeat350 and Marian @Sweetopia royal icing and although both are just slight different I was satisfied with the results. can’t quite say which one is the best.
    your heart cookies are so cute!
    Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} recently posted Caramel Granola Bars

@bridget – thank you for coming over and giving me the tip! I will keep that in mind next time I make royal icing.

Btw, I love your blog! :)

@Roxana – thanks! I’ll have to try some more royal icing recipes and see what I like best. Bridget says be careful not to overbeat it, so that may have been my issue in this case.

13. Over 125 Amazing Valentine’s Day Desserts writes:

[...] Heart Sugar Cookies [...]

14. Valentine's Cookie Recipes - Organized Island writes:

[...] Heart Sugar Cookies from 52 Kitchen Adventures [...]

15. Jann writes:

I’m new at baking, what is meringue powder?? And why do u need so much powdered sugar for the icing???

16. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Jann, meringue powder adds body to royal icing and can be used in place of egg whites. The main ingredient in many frostings and icings is powdered sugar.

17. Easy Chocolate Cupcakes for Two - 52 Kitchen Adventures | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] Heart Sugar Cookies [...]