How to Frost an Ombre Rose Cake

I’m so excited to share my first video with you! I’ve been thinking about making videos for a while, and this cake provided the perfect opportunity. My #1 question since posting about the all natural ombre frosting (click here to see how I dyed it without artificial coloring) was “HOW did you do that?!”

I made another whole cake just so I could show you. (I know, the sacrifices we food bloggers make.) I used Sweetapolita’s fluffy vanilla cake, which made 3 6-inch layers and used about 3 batches of my vanilla buttercream frosting (the recipe is also posted below the video).

It’s really not that hard to do – once you get the swirl technique down you can make frosting roses on anything. All you’ll need is disposable piping bags or reusable piping bagsWilton 1M tips (or another open star tip), and, of course, a cake and some frosting. I go over this in the video, but the technique is really easy to fix – if you mess up a rose, you just wipe it off and frost it again.

So, without further ado, here it is. If you’ve ever wondered what I really look/sound like, here’s your chance to see me live!

Embedly Powered

Vanilla Buttercream

I've been told this frosting tastes like marshmallows and vanilla ice cream. It's my go-to vanilla frosting recipe. I usually use vanilla bean paste in place of vanilla extract, but that puts black flecks in the frosting, which I didn't want for this cake.

You'll need 3-4 batches to frost a 3 layer 6-inch cake with roses.

Ingredients

• 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1.5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract )
  • Beet juice for coloring (optional)

Instructions

1. Beat the butter for a few minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium speed for several minutes, until the frosting becomes smooth and creamy. Add vanilla extract and beat until fully incorporated.
  2. If using, add beet juice and mix until you reach your desired pink color.

Notes

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Note: I Am Baker created the original Rose Cake. See her video tutorial here.

34 Responses to “How to Frost an Ombre Rose Cake”
  1. Annie writes:

Awesome! Now I’ll be more comfortable doing it myself! Thanks!

2. All Natural Ombre Cake (No Food Dye!) | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] Wednesday, 22 August 2012 TweetWelcome to 52 Kitchen Adventures, your one-stop shop for creative and mouth-watering desserts! See my Recipe Index for over 200 recipes. Don't want to miss another recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email.Edited 8/31/12: See a video tutorial on how to frost a rose ombre cake here. [...]

3. Tamara writes:

Awesome tutorial!! Rose cakes are so beautiful.
    Tamara recently posted Revolution Doughnuts

@Annie – that’s great! I’d love to see what you create using this technique.

@Tamara – thanks! They are gorgeous and easier than you’d think!

6. Laura (Tutti Dolci) writes:

Seriously gorgeous cake! Great video tutorial too :)
    Laura (Tutti Dolci) recently posted roasted strawberry-peach bars

@Laura – thanks! It’s a little weird to hear/see myself on video, but I hope everyone enjoys it :)

8. Anna @ hiddenponies writes:

Such a stunning cake, and great idea with the video, you make it seem totally doable!
    Anna @ hiddenponies recently posted Sweet & Savoury Pork Pizza

@Anna – thanks! It’s a lot easier than it looks, I promise :)

10. Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious writes:

What a gorgeous cake. And thanks for the tutorial.
    Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious recently posted Bread and Butter Pickles

@Yudith – thanks! I love making tutorials and breaking down projects like this for everyone. It’s my first video and I can’t wait to make more.

12. Anne@FromMySweetHeart writes:

Stephanie…..that was such a wonderful video and tutorial! I love that ombre look…and I’ve actually been looking to learn how to decorate a cake in that rose pattern completely in white. I think that technique has such a vintage look and feel to it! Your cake turned out beautifully and I thank you for teaching me. I can’t wait to give this a try! : )
    Anne@FromMySweetHeart recently posted Mango Coconut Cream Puffs with Mango Mojito Sauce

@ Anna – I’m so glad you enjoyed my video! A rose cake in white would look lovely. I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Feel free to leave a link and/or photos on my Facebook page.

14. Sarah writes:

Fantastic tutorial, thank you for the inspiration. Just found your blog for the first time and wanted to say hi – love it!
    Sarah recently posted Tea Fuel

@Sarah – thanks for stopping by! So glad you like my tutorial and blog :)

16. How to Make Zebra Cupcakes | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] cupcake liners, vanilla cake and dark chocolate cake (see links below for the recipes I used), vanilla buttercream frosting, and zebra print sugar [...]

17. Cake Baking Kate writes:

Oh you make that look so easy, and it certainly looks yummy! What a great tutorial. I’m going to try this on the next cake I make. Thanks!

@Cake Baking Kate – it really is that easy! I can’t wait to see what you make :)

19. Beth writes:

Beet juice? How – drained from a can of beets?
    This is something I want try for a special birthday in a couple months. It ends up so impressive looking but I think even I can do it! Thanks!

20. Beth writes:

oops…I just discovered where you’d written the instructions for how to colour the frosting. Too easy!

@Beth – isn’t that simple? In case anyone else missed it, click here for the pink ombre frosting recipe without food dye!

22. Alicia writes:

I attempted to do this for my daughter’s smash cake session but my roses were melting, I used brand new frosting from Duncan Hines idk what I did wrong?

@Alicia – I recommend making your own frosting for this. Most store bought frostings will be too soft and won’t hold up the shape of the roses. Try making a simple buttercream – the one in this post is my favorite vanilla buttercream. I used about 3 batches of that to frost a 3-layer 6″ cake with roses.

24. Lychee Ombre Rose Cake « Decadent Dragon Bakery writes:

[...] White Cake : Thanks to SprinkleBakes for a moist White Cake Recipe! Swiss Meringue Buttercream: Great SMB recipe from Smitten Kitchen Lychee Filling: Adapted this Lychee Mousse filling from Raspberri Cupcakes Color Styling: Inspired by 52 Kitchen Adventures‘ similar ombre version [...]

25. Beth @ Decadent Dragon Bakery writes:

Thank you for the inspiration! I made a similar pink and gold version recently. It turned out beautifully.
    Beth @ Decadent Dragon Bakery recently posted Lychee Ombre Rose Cake

26. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Your cake is beautiful, Beth! I love the addition of gold at the top.

27. Lychee Ombre Rose Cake | Decadent Dragon Bakery writes:

28. how to make heart cake withouth heart pan | Crunchy Creamy Sweet writes:

[...] Top 3 things on my blog bucket list for this year are…. 1. Make more how-to videos like my how to frost a rose ombre cake video 2. Host a Google+ hangout on air with a cooking demo 3. Learn to make the perfect pie [...]

29. Lavender buttercream rose cake. 3 steps to a pretty cake | Pretty Bakes Blog writes:

[...] searched online for some inspiration photos. I found lovely examples of buttercream rose cakes at 52kitchenadventures.com and adventuresinsavings.com. So [...]

30. vicki writes:

great tutorial for a beautiful cake!
    do you think this frosting would hold up on a cake that has to sit in the sun(outdoor wedding in august-eek) for about 2 hours?

31. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Vicki, I don’t know how hot it is where you are, but I don’t think this frosting will hold up in direct sun outside for 2 hours. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening, so I’d make a buttercream with shortening if you want to do a design like this. I’d try to keep it inside or at least in the shade until serving too. It may dry out a bit, but perhaps you could freeze it first so it won’t totally melt. Good luck!

32. vicki writes:

ooh, good point about the melting point. thanks.
    Wisconsin outdoor wedding…so it could be 70 but more likely 90degrees or so in august. i’m still trying to convince her to keep the food in the tent or an awesome old barn ont he property but so far no luck.
    thanks!

33. Sarah writes:

Ok but how do you get your cake layers to fit together so perfectly? My cakes always have big gaps on the side between the layers when I stack them.

34. Loretta’s Birthday – A Rose Cake | Baking Ideas Happen writes:

[…] and has a bright personality.  So I Googled “rose cake” to get ideas.  I found this lovely rose cake where the icing was dyed with beet juice.  That sounded like so much fun I had to try […]