Today they’re announcing the 3 finalists and…(drum roll, please…) I’m one of them!!
Please excuse the run-on sentence, but I had to show you how much he loved this dessert. Let me tell you why it’s so awesome:
Inside those cute little jars, from the bottom up, is: chocolate graham cracker or cookie crust, mocha cheesecake, salted caramel, whipped cream, more salted caramel drizzled on top. It’s a pretty decadent dessert, but the little jar gives you a small, satisfying portion. It’s the perfect portion control.
You pop the jars into a slow cooker with some water and they cook in about 90 minutes while you go make dinner or go out and see a movie or whatever you want. I think these would be wonderful for a dinner party. They could cook as you get ready and are already portioned out into individual sizes. All you’d have to do is refrigerate them during dinner and add the toppings with your guests.
- Mocha cheesecake:
- 3/4 cup ground chocolate graham crackers or chocolate wafers (I used chocolate Teddy Grahams)
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Salted caramel:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Lightly coat six 4-oz. jars with non-stick spray. Mix ground chocolate crackers or wafers with butter and a pinch of salt. Add a tablespoon plus a teaspoon of crust mixture to each jar. Push down crust into an even layer. Repeat with remaining jars and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Add egg and mixed until combined. Mix in melted chocolate, vanilla, instant coffee, and salt. Pour filling into each jar until 3/4 full and place them into slow cooker. Carefully pour hot water around the jars until they are 3/4 submerged. Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours. When done, they should be solid. Remove from slow cooker and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To make salted caramel, add butter, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, and salt to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add the vanilla and cook 1 more minute to thicken further. Pour caramel into a jar, then refrigerate until cold.
- When ready to serve, pour salted caramel sauce and whipped cream over each cheesecake.