Guinness & Chocolate Cake Pops

I know people say stuff like this all the time, but I honestly can’t believe it’s almost mid-March. Time is passing by so quickly! As a food blogger, you really have to stay on top of holidays and seasons. I’ve been seeing St. Patrick’s Day recipes and crafts all over Pinterest and blogs for the last few weeks.

I made these cake pops 2 weeks ago, which somewhat confused the people who got to eat them. “Are you doing a dry-run for St. Patrick’s Day?” I was asked more than once. Nope, this is it – I have make it in time to photograph, edit, write, and post before the holiday. I actually meant to post this earlier this week, but instead I put together a list of tricks to make cake pops more easily (which you should read before you try making these).

No matter what day of the year it is, these cake pops are delicious. I made a s’mores pie with Guinness and chocolate filling a couple of years ago, which showed me how well chocolate and Guinness go together. The deep flavor of the stout compliments the chocolate and makes it even richer. I used a pretty easy Guinness chocolate cake recipe, which has a very subtle flavor of Guinness. I also added a little Guinness to the frosting, which you could skip (or try some Irish whiskey if that’s more your style).

If you’re not sure about the whole beer and chocolate thing, don’t worry – Lauren, who hates beer, is a picky eater, and had to be convinced by 3 people to try one of these declared them amazing (and said they did not taste like beer). Like I said, it’s a very subtle flavor. So don’t be afraid to try these and don’t let the green scare you off either. Use your favorite color and make these rich chocolate cake pops appropriate even on non-Irish holidays.

Speaking of cake pops, I’m thinking about following up my cake pop tricks post with another, more basic tip list. What do you guys want to know about making cake pops? Would a step by step photo tutorial on making cake pops from scratch be useful to you?

P.S. If you’re looking for more Irish recipes for St. Patrick’s Day, check out my Irish coffee recipe and my (surprisingly easy) recipe for homemade Irish cream, which I used to make Irish coffee cupcakes.

Guiness and Chocolate Cake Pops

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Guinness Frosting
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • Guiness or Irish whiskey, to taste (optional)
Make the cake:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper and lightly grease the sides.

Over low heat, combine beer and butter in a small saucepan and cook until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add in sugar and cocoa. Whisk until combined.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk into the beer mixture.

In another small bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Whisk into the beer mixture until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for around 45-50 minutes (until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean). Cool completely in pan on a wire rack, then remove sides of pan.

Make the frosting:

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and cream and beat until mixture just becomes smooth (don’t over beat). If using, add a tablespoon of Guinness or whiskey and add more to taste.

Assemble the cake pops:

• Green candy melts and/or white chocolate
  • 40-50 6″ lollipop sticks
  • Styrofoam block or colander
  1. Once the cake is completely cooled, break it into 4 pieces. Using your hands, a food processor, or blender, crumble each piece  and place crumbs into a large bowl.
  2. Add frosting to the bowl and mix with the back of a spoon or your clean, dry hands until thoroughly combined.
  3. Roll into 1 1/2-inch balls.
  4. Place cake balls on a baking sheet covered in wax paper and chill for several hours in the refrigerator or for 15 minutes in the freezer. (If you put them in the fridge, put them in the freezer for 10 minutes while you melt the candy melts/chocolate.)
  5. In a double boiler, microwave, or Crock-Pot Little Dipper, melt the candy melts or chocolate, stirring until all lumps are gone.
  6. Once coating is melted, remove from heat and pour into a cup. Let cool for a few minutes.
  7. Remove half of the cake balls from freezer. Dip the tip of a lollipop into the melted chocolate, then stick it straight down into a ball.
  8. Holding the lollipop stick, dip cake ball into the melted coating until it’s completely covered and quickly remove.
  9. Hold pop over cup while excess coating drips off (if needed, tap your wrist with the opposite hand to help the process).
  10. Place pops into styrofoam block or colander. Store covered in fridge until ready to serve.

30 Responses to “Guinness & Chocolate Cake Pops”
  1. Becky writes:

These pops are gorgeous and I can’t wait to try the Guinness Chocolate cake, maybe in cupcakes, maybe cake pops!. My hubby loves Guinness, so i”ll make them for him. I’ll let him decide. Great pics!
    Becky recently posted Scott’s Roasted Garlic Hummus with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil

2. Becky writes:

These pops are gorgeous and I can’t wait to try the Guinness Chocolate cake, maybe in cupcakes, maybe cake pops!. My hubby loves Guinness, so i”ll make them for him. Great pics!

3. Martha T writes:

I made almost the identical cake recipe for my son-in-law last week, but I used a chocolate buttercream and bittersweet chocolate ganache. He loved it!

@Becky – thanks! This cake would be good either way. Hope your hubby loves it!

@Martha – that sounds SO good! I’m not surprised that he loved it!

6. Michelle writes:

Do you know if I can make the frosting ahead? I would need to assemble just before the party as I don’t have room in my fridge for the pops.

@Michelle – absolutely. Make the frosting and keep it covered in the fridge. I think I kept it in the fridge 2 days before I actually made the cake pops.

8. Choc Chip Uru writes:

These are a brilliant way of celebrating – look absoltely perfect :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Tropical Caramelised Baked German Pancake

9. Emily @ Life on Food writes:

I really need to get on the whole beer cake trend. I know coffee can do wonders to chocolate cake and now I am intrigued but the beer. These look very festive!
    Emily @ Life on Food recently posted Boating

10. Visda writes:

You seem to become the cake pop queen.:-) I have only tried to make them once for that Bakerella contest and that was it. I can totally understand why you made them so much time in advance because making them is really time consuming. Never thought of Irish cream in cake pops. Thanks for sharing such a great idea.
    Visda recently posted from san francisco to graz

11. Kiri W. writes:

Excellent treats! :) These will be such a hit on St. Patty’s day – love the green sugar, too. Well done!
    Kiri W. recently posted In Vitulinam Elixam – Ancient Roman Boiled Veal

12. Medeja writes:

How cute!!! They looks almost unreal!
    Medeja recently posted Saldžiarūgštė Kiauliena su Makaronais/ Sweet and Sour Pork Noodles

13. RavieNomNoms writes:

VERY cute idea! Love the green

14. Rochelle writes:

Beautiful green and white cake pops! I love that in the spirit of St. Patty’s day you made it a Guinness and chocolate cake. I have yet to try the combination, but I really want to try it :)
    Rochelle recently posted Ervilhas com Ovos Escalfados – Portuguese Comfort Food

15. Norma writes:

I will try to make these cake pops this week.
    It will be great if you can post a video of how to make cake pops ( step by step)

@Norma – I hope you enjoy the cake pops! I’m thinking about posting a step by step photo tutorial, but if I have time I’ll try to make a video.

17. Meghan K writes:

Ia it worth a try with a box cake mix?

@Meghan K – you could do a chocolate cake mix and then make the Guinness frosting. The cake recipe is actually pretty simple to make though, so I think it’s worth it.

19. Natalie writes:

I made a different version of these last night, inspired by this recipe, but more simple. I used a box of the extra moist Pillsbury cake mix (the kind that says it has pudding in the mix) and substituted the 1.25 cups of water with 1.25 cups of Guinness. Then to make the cake ball “dough,” I mixed in about 1/3 of a container of chocolate frosting and 3 shots of Jack Daniels. Dipped the balls in green candy coating for St. Pat’s day, and everyone in the office loves them today!

@Natalie – Nice shortcuts – thanks for sharing!

21. Genevieve writes:

Made this cake for a St. Patrick’s day party yesterday and it was a HUGE hit!!! Everyone kept commenting on how delicious it was and how you couldn’t even taste the beer. Studying in Dublin for the semester so I couldn’t pass up the chance to use Guinness in a cake. Thanks for an absolutely delicious recipe that I will make time and time again!

@Genevieve – that’s fantastic! I’m so glad you and your friends enjoyed the cake! Happy (belated) St. Patrick’s Day.

23. How to Make Cake Pops | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[…] Guinness & Chocolate Cake Pops […]

24. Karen writes:

Wow, what a GREAT idea for St. Patrick’s Day! Thanks for posting this. I absolutely LOVE your blog. :-) As I commented on your cake pop tutorial, I don’t usually like to use frosting as a binder for my cake pops, so I would probably forego the frosting and use Irish cream liqueur as my binder, although homemade frosting is FAR superior to canned – especially if it has Irish whiskey in it! LOL Heck – you could skip the frosting and just use Irish whiskey, or even more Guinness. When I make my Guinness brownies, I usually substitute Young’s Double Chocolate Stout for the Guinness just to add more chocolate; I would probably do the same for this one. But I doubt I’ll wait until next St. Patty’s Day to try it. Thanks again! :-D

25. rebeca writes:

the inside of the cake pop is supposed to be like a regular cake or is it different? what i mean with different is sticky and doesn’t taste the same as if you’re eating a cake.

@rebeca – the inside of a cake pop is supposed to be a mixture of cake and frosting all mash together. It’s sort of similar to a truffle. If you want more info on making cake pops, visit my post on how to make cake pops and also 5 tricks to making cake pops more easily.

27. 51 Tutorials for St. Patrick's Day Sweets writes:

[…] Guinness and Chocolate Cake Pops by 52 Kitchen […]

28. Tanusree writes:

Great idea for St Patrick’s day. pinning it for the weekend !

29. 90 St. Patrick's Day Sweets & Treats - Cupcakes & Kale Chips writes: