50 Awesome Flavored Waters

The Health Education Council has launched the Rethink Your Drink campaign. They are encouraging healthy drink choices, like replacing sugar-sweetened beverages (think soda, sports drinks, and energy drinks) with water. Their goal is to read 8,000 pledges by the end of September.

As someone who constantly carries around a water bottle, I am on board with this campaign and immediately pledged to drink water instead of sugary drinks for the next 30 days. I know that for most other people, this would be a tough challenge. Many people drink soda everyday, or don’t think twice about picking up a Red Bull or a mocha. It’s shocking how much sugar is in pretty much any drink you can get at Starbucks. I don’t want to spoil your annual pumpkin spice latte, but seriously check it out and think about making it homemade or opting for water instead.

I came across this eye-opening photo online. I think it’s particularly important to watch what our children are drinking and eating. Do they need all that sugar in sweetened chocolate milk or soda? Instead, let’s encourage them to have water.

I know, I know. Water is boring. I hear people say that all the time. Well, not anymore! You can add tons of different fruits, veggies, and herbs to make water taste better. Fill up a pitcher, toss in some combination from below, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours (the longer you let it steep, the more flavor you’ll get, but you can also enjoy it immediately).

Without further ado, 50 awesome flavored water ideas. I hope this gets you thinking outside the box and trying out more water. And please sign the pledge to drink water (bonus: you’ll be entered to win a $250 Amex gift card!).

1. Watermelon
    17. Raspberries
    18. Pineapple
    19. Kiwi
    20. Papaya
    21. Honeydew melon
    22. Fresh ginger root
    23. Mango                                                                                                                                       And don’t forget fun combinations of the ingredients above! Get creative and combine them so it never gets dull. The possibilities are endless but here are some of my favorites:
    24. Watermelon and mint (pictured above)
    25. Cucumber and mint
    38. Thyme and blackberries
    39. Cucumber and rosemary
    40. Cantaloupe and watermelon
    41. Cucumber, lemon, and mint
    42. Lemon and lime
    43. Strawberry and basil
    44. Cranberry juice and lemon (use a capful of unsweetened cranberry juice)
    45. Ginger and lime
    46. Pineapple and mango
    47. Strawberries and lime
    48. Orange, lime, and lemon
    49. Lemon and a pinch of cayenne
    50. Papaya and mango
…and I could keep going. Seriously, there are so many potential combos!

For the herbs, crush or chop them up to get the best flavor. Similarly, squeeze citrus wedges, slice or cube melons, and crush berries.  Nancy Creative has some more great tips and recipes for flavored waters.

Do you have a flavored water you love? Share it with us in the comments section below!

72 Responses to “50 Awesome Flavored Waters”
  1. statelysweets writes:

I have always been a fan of lemon water at resturaunts and this is awesome! I tried a lemon-mint combination the second I was done reading this. Yum. Next one i’ll try is going to be watermelon-mint. Do you drink it with the mint and stuff in it?
    statelysweets recently posted The Little Beautys

@statelysweets – I usually leave everything in, but I often drink it out of a cup with a straw. You could take it out if it’s bothering you (or steep it in a pitcher and then just pour out the water).

3. Janelle writes:

You can also toss some fruit in a blender and make a sort of “concentrate” and then mix it in with the water afterward. That way you get more even distribution, and a stronger flavor (if you like that, which I do…I can’t stand water that tastes *almost* flavored).

@Janelle – thanks for the tip! For people who like stronger flavors, making a concentrate is a great idea. Just putting in chunks of fruit/veggies/herbs does make a very subtle flavor.

5. Karis' Kitchen writes:

I often make cucumber water when we’re having guests for dinner, but stupidly it never occurred to me to make it on a regular basis. I really should because then I would think twice about grabbing a can of Diet Coke when flavored water is also an option.
    Karis’ Kitchen recently posted Orzo with Parmesan & Spinach

@Karis – this is a great replacement for soda. Hope you’ll think about taking the Rethink Your Drink Pledge!

7. Sarah writes:

Can you tell me where you got your glasses from, or how you made them? They would make perfect gifts.

8. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Sarah, I got the glass as a party favor, but here are similar ones on Amazon. I bought the lids on Etsy, like these.

9. Jessica writes:

Do yall think that if you make a concentrate it can be put into a disposable tea bag. They have too bags that you can fill yourself. I’m just not sure it’s a good idea!

10. Tilly writes:

Really great post, i tried the blood orange one and its amazing but then i am a fan of blood oranges, lol

11. Mary Elizabeth Kormash writes:

I read a long time ago to add oranges and split a vanilla bean –scrape the inside, then add both — suppose to taste like a Creamsicle!!

12. Pat writes:

So my question would be do you have to let your water sit overnight in order to flavor the water? can you put it within an hour and it just hope and pray?? We do alot of water for church and needed these great ideas…thank you.
    Pat recently posted Easter Basket Cupcake Bouquet

13. Caroline writes:

My sorority has a tradition of serving water with apple, raspberries, and strawberries in it at events. Sounds like an odd combination but it is absolutely delicious!!!

14. nikki writes:

I’ve done cucumber lemon and I have to say its one of my favorites….I try to keep it on hand at all times keeps me away from my weakness (Coke Cola classic) and in needs to be ice cold! But defin gonna try some of these combos….yum yum flavored water!

15. Seattle Doug writes:

Herbal tea is basically the same thing, however it may be more readily available and in greater variety.
    We just add a tea bag to an ounce or 2 of water, microwave for 20 seconds, and add to our water bottle. Optionally add a drop or 2 of agave.

16. Shantay writes:

How much are u supposed to put of fruit or herbs in the water.

17. Teresa writes:

What portions do you use? If I have a 1.3 gallon container, how much fruit/veggie/herb do I add?
    Teresa recently posted Frozen Voskos Greek Yogurt

18. Meg writes:

How long can the flavored water good for in the fridge? Day or a couple days?

19. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Shantay, play around and see what you like. I add a small handful of herbs, a cup of berries, a few of larger fruits (like lemons) into a pitcher of water.

20. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Pat, the longer it sits, the more intense the flavor. 1-2 hours at least, overnight if you have time.

21. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Teresa, that’s a pretty large container. I don’t have an exact measurement for you (like I told Shantay, play with it and see what you like), but I’d add a good amount, like a large handful or 2 of herbs, several of the larger fruits, or a couple cups of berries.

22. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Meg, it’s good for 2-3 days in the fridge.

23. Janae Johnson writes:

Strawberry and rosemary, blackberry and parsley.

24. Sara Steffen writes:

We have done Apple and Cinnamon and it is amazing. I am excited to try some of these combinations!

25. dreamz writes:

how long does flavored water stay good for? I bought a pitcher from bed bath and beyond that allows you steep. But after a day I throw the water out.

26. Moreen Hulley writes:

Hello please could you tell me if flavoured water is a good for you and natural water?
    I love naartjie flavour.

27. fresh finds for your taste-buds | life without structure writes:

[…] Grape Water! I will not miss you. Find over 50 ideas of what to flavor your water with on over at 52 Kitchen Adventures. Like this:Like Loading… May 19, 2013 by Sarah Categories: peace with food | Tags: […]

28. Naturally Flavored Waters - Fat And Happy Housewives | Fat And Happy Housewives writes:

[…] 52kitchenadventures.com viaTae on […]

29. 7 Ways: Being Healthy at the Summer Festival : Well Done Cincinnati writes:

[…] fruit infused waters are all the rage these days.  Some ideas for fruit infused water are listed here. One of my favs: Lime/Rosemary/Orange water-  2 quarts spring water 2 limes, cut into 1/4-inch […]

30. Joan writes:

Where Can I get the Ball Jar glasses????

31. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Joan, here are two versions of the glasses on Amazon: mason jar glasses and Libbey jar glasses

32. McKenzie LaCoss writes:

I like jalapeño and lime…also apple and pear. Gonna try watermelon and mint ASAP.

33. Debi Martin writes:

I use an pple and a stick of cinnamon in a quart of water. That way yiu get thr benefits of the cinnamon Along with the apple

34. Rethink Your Drink | writes:

[…] Accessed July 10, 2013. 8. http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2012/09/17/fifty-awesome-flavored-water-recipes/. Accessed July 9, 2013. Comments commentsPowered by Facebook […]

35. Karen L K writes:

The only thing I have kind of seen an issue with is leaving citrus fruit in more than a day or maybe even less than that. You get the bitter flavor after awhile from the peel.

36. kkgoh writes:

Try juicing 1 carrot with a tomato flavored with a bit of salt

37. Sabiha writes:

hi

random question :) where did you get the glass from with the watermelon flavored water in. I live in England and can’t find it anywhere

38. Stephanie Nuccitelli writes:

Sabiha, here are two versions of the glasses on Amazon: mason jar glasses and Libbey jar glasses

39. Judith writes:

I recently read that one can refill the pitcher as it empties and should discard fruit after 7 days.

40. Thabi writes:

what about multiple flavours? I made lemon, mint ginger and cucumber!! felt like a meal!!! :-)) got me through my 2 litres in no time flat!

41. AprilAllYear writes:

I put a large glass pitcher with fruited water on my counter and my kids will be drawn to it to drink because it’s lovely.

Regarding how long and how strong, I find that different items flavor faster/stronger. For example, cucumber water can be “ready” to drink in a minute, while strawberry has to be dinged a little to get some flavor out (still beautiful and inviting on the counter either way, though). Crushing the mint leaves between your fingers JUST A LITTLE before you toss it in makes the taste/scent stronger, too.

Finally, in a hurry for stronger flavored water once, I put 1 c hot water in my “mix” for a minute to steep, then added it all to a large pitcher with ice. Very effective, but was surprised how strong the mint was! wowee – won’t need to steep that one again. Also, this wouldn’t work for some items (my favorite, cucumber, for example).

42. 50 Awesome Naturally Flavored Waters - Natural Solution Today writes:

[…] 50 Awesome Naturally Flavored Waters Sign Up Now for Free Updates and Exclusive Content: […]

43. Deborah S writes:

Always drank water with lemon, now loving water with apple and cinnamon!

44. ASAD writes:

plzzzzz help mee …… i need a business plan ( flavored water ) give mee some ideas

45. Charlene writes:

What great combinations and healthy too. I have tried a lot of the fruit and vegetable choices mentioned and love the benefits that they provide as well as tasting great.

46. Julie writes:

Great ideas

47. Helen writes:

being diabetic I am really happy to find this site. Diet drinks are so full of chemicals, and I get so tired of plain water. Milk runs my sugar up, so this is a real blessing for me. I just bought 2 glass containers, one with an infusion tube. can’t wait to try something besides lemon or lime water.

48. Joanna writes:

Watermelon and strawberry

49. Laura Rhodes writes:

Thank you so much for sharing! It was an inspiration for making homemade beverages at festivals I sell at! Blessings, Laura Rhodes
    Laura Rhodes recently posted Honey Bees and Beehive Skep with Flower Salt Dough Bowl Fillers

50. Nadezhda Greenwood writes:

Hi, we are a non government based organisation who works with young carers and would their families would love to include some of your recipie ideas in our magazine, but wanted to ask for permissions first if this was okay first and if we site you.
    Wishing you a great day and again thank you. :-)

51. For a healthy smile, ditch the daily soda | Appel OrthodonticsAppel Orthodontics writes:

[…] of flavor with fruit like lemon or watermelon, or with a little mint or other herbs. (Here’s a list of 50 different combinations you might try!) Citrus fruits do have a lot of acid in them, but a squeeze or two is fine in your […]

52. Lemon Mango Cucumber Water- Yum! | Mia Prima Casa writes:

[…] 50 Awesome Flavored Water Recipes […]

53. Jen writes:

I got all these fruits and couldn’t taste anyone of them but the lemon and lime
    Jen recently posted Chocolate Coconut Chia Mousse Pie {Vegan & Grain Free}

54. Meghna writes:

Can we add carrot or not?

55. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Meghna, I’ve never tried carrot but I don’t see why not.

56. So fresh and so green, green | hungryhungryhilary writes:

[…] found a ton of ideas for flavored water here, my favorite of which include watermelon mint and strawberry basil (featured above).  This is one […]

57. vina writes:

Nice combos and creative idea to flavor water!! I love it. Thank you.

58. Thierry writes:

I just bought a vitamix and I have been blending my fruit into my water and adding chia seeds. Have you ever thought about doing this, and what is your thoughts on it? The one fruit I have found I didn’t like was the kiwi, I couldn’t get past the seeds.

59. April writes:

Thank you! I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and can go from either extreme art any given time or day. I’ve become that “one” that gives several instructions to the wait staff when I give them my order. I’ve cut out SO MANY foods and can eat NOTHING FRIED! Drinks are the same. I’m down to water and tea with honey NOT a sugar substitute. So the flavored water thing is great and I’m enjoying the drink once again!

60. Tanesha writes:

What can you do with the fruit slices/chunks afterwards? Eat them maybe? Would they be too soggy to do anything with? I’m a college student so I take a 750 ml water bottle with me everyday. I would probably add fruit to the water in the bottle before I head to class in the morning, but I’d definitely drink it all before the day is over. Maybe I could fill it up again at a water fountain. Or would the fruit have lost all the flavor from the first fill?

61. samira writes:

Cucumber lemons and mints…the cucumbers have a cooling effect I love.

62. Nicky writes:

For a 1 gallon jar 1 lemon and 1 lime (or 2 medium oranges) is usually sufficient for citrus fruits, if you were adding mint or basil or sage I would use about a Tablespoon of fresh chopped herbs to the water. For non citrus fruits try to use the same amount size wise. So probably a cup of say raspberries or chopped watermelon. Also we make ours right before going to bed and set it in the fridge so it seeps overnight and then pour it through a sieve so there’s no seeds or bits of herbs floating. You can skip this of course. If you have on use a lemon/lime press on your citrus fruits to juice them first and put the rinds in too!

63. 5 Tips for Keeping Your Heart Healthy from the Comfort of Your Home | Australian Women Online writes:

[…] a jug in the chiller and if you need some variety, flavour it with lime juice and crushed mint for tasty […]

64. laci writes:

Can this be used as a diet?

65. Healthy 4th of July « EAT FIT HEALTH EAT FIT HEALTH writes:

[…] For more vegetarian grilling recipes check out this link from Food & Wine! 3. Stay Refreshed with Low Calorie Drinks Drinking extra calories is very tempting at a celebration and can be easy to do. Create a low calorie, light and refreshing signature drink for your celebration to stay away from the unnecessary calories. Try this cranberry lemonade spritzer, enjoy unsweetened iced tea with lemon, flavored ice teas or check out these great flavored water ideas. […]

66. Hariet Anderson writes:

Hey. For all the new kids in experimentation with food- take it easy! Cookery needs testing…does it taste better raw, blended, boiled, abused? Try it! Better yet have the kids help! This is so kid friendly, it’s ridiculous! This has the best begginers menu I’ve seen! Keep it up, everyone! Thanks!

67. 10 Habits for Healthy and Effective Weight Loss | Get Melbourne FitGet Melbourne Fit writes:

[…] like water? Check out this link for some tasty ways of spicing up your […]

68. may writes:

Hi. I just wanted to ask if I could use dried cranberries instead? And would dried cranberries be less healthy?
    Thanks

69. Jeannine writes:

I am new to adding flavor to my water but it is the only way for me to drink more. I truly love pineapple and mint together, it is very refreshing in Texas heat. For a pot luck at work, a coworker mixed watermelon and rosemary which I will make soon for a barbecue.

70. Stephanie Saunders writes:

May, dried cranberries have sugar and oil added, so it won’t be quite as healthy as fresh fruit and herbs. I’ve never tried them, so I don’t know how much flavor they would add. Please come back and let us know how it turns out!

71. 8 Simple Ways to be a HEALTHIER You! | Coconut Oil Works writes:

[…] Find plain water boring? Here are some awesome recipes to enhance your water drinking experience- from 52 kitchen adventures […]

72. 50 Awesome Naturally Flavored Waters | Health & Natural Living writes: