How to Make Heart Shaped Cupcakes

It’s almost Valentine’s Day, which I don’t make a huge deal about myself, but it’s an excellent excuse to enjoy a yummy dessert! I’ve got a rich chocolate cupcake for two recipe coming at you in a few days, but for now I’m excited to show you this easy heart shaped cupcake DIY.

Last year I shared how to make a heart shaped cake without a heart shaped pan. I told you last week that Taste of Home featured the idea in their latest issue, which got me thinking…cupcakes are just mini cakes. Why not make heart shaped cupcakes? It turns out, they’re even easier to make than the heart shaped cake!

A lot of people recommend using marbles to push the top part of the cupcake in, but I didn’t like that idea for several reasons – I didn’t want to buy marbles just to bake cupcakes, you have to deal with a bunch of hot glass marbles, and 1 marble would only make a partial heart shape. Instead, I used some aluminum foil to make little balls to shape the cupcake liners into hearts. Easy, cheap, and no worries that you might burn yourself!

Seriously, this is so simple! If you want to make the ultimate Valentine’s Day treat for your sweetie, try out easy chocolate cupcakes for two or Nutella cupcakes for two recipe to make 2 heart shaped cupcakes.

Here’s how you do it…

You’ll need:

Cupcake pan, aluminum foil, and foil baking cups (and some cupcake batter would help ;))

And then all you do is:

1. Place baking cups into cupcake pan

2. Make balls out of aluminum foil: 1 big and 2 small for each baking cup. See the reference above to the size of a dime.

3. Place 1 big ball at the top of each baking cup, so it folds inward. Place 1 small ball on the bottom sides so they are slightly bent and make a heart shape.

4. Fill baking cups just over 1/2 full.

5. Bake cupcakes as recipe dictates and let cool. Remove baking cups, decorate, and enjoy!

14 Responses to “How to Make Heart Shaped Cupcakes”
  1. Kristen writes:

Such a simple yet ingenious idea! Stopping by from Sits…love this!
    Kristen recently posted Why You (may) Need to Get Away!

2. Jesenia writes:

Stopping over from The Sits Girls site. Love this idea! So simple, yet I’ve never seen it done before. Thanks for sharing!
    Jesenia recently posted 10 Fun Indoor Winter Activities for Kids

3. Carole writes:

What a great idea! I’ve seen the marble trick floating around out there, but you’ve taken it one step further to actually create heart-shaped cupcakes! Love this! Pinned to Pinterest. Stopping by from SITS.
    Carole recently posted Easy Valentine Candy and Cookie Buffet

4. Mamapotamus writes:

So easy yet such genius! I love this and I’m totally doing it!!
    Mamapotamus recently posted Pregnancy Brain is Real

5. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Kristen, Jesenia, and Carole, thanks for stopping by from SITS! I’m so glad you all found me there and enjoyed this post – it’s one of my new favorite baking tricks!

6. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Thanks Mamapotamus! I’d love to see how your heart cupcakes turn out!

7. Easy Chocolate Cupcakes for Two - 52 Kitchen Adventures | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] was really excited to figure out how to make heart shaped cupcakes so easily. Now you can turn any cupcake recipe into a Valentine’s Day dessert, but what is [...]

8. Anita writes:

Hi Stephanie,

Lovely to meet you. I found you through the SITS sharefest. I love your idea to make heart shaped cup cakes. Thank you for inspiration :)
    Anita recently posted Thankful for the unexpected ways God speaks to us

9. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Thank you for stopping by, Anita! :)

10. Laurie writes:

This is a fantastic idea! Brilliant!

You ROCK for linking up this week to Tip Me Tuesday. {high fives} Just a heads up, Tip Junkie can help you index your blog more effectively if you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room! Simply login and click “add a project” on your profile page to get started. {yep I’ve got your back!} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}
    Link ~ http://www.tipjunkie.com/how-to-add-a-craft-room-project-on-tip-junkie

11. Stephanie Saunders writes:

Thank you for stopping by and letting me know, Laurie!

12. Kimberly {Stuffed Suitcase} writes:

What a cute idea! Pinned this, and can’t wait to surprise my girls with it.
    Kimberly {Stuffed Suitcase} recently posted Photo Scavenger Hunt for Kids

13. Stephanie Saunders writes:

I hope they love them, Kimberly! :)

14. How to Make Bunny Cupcakes | 52 Kitchen Adventures writes:

[...] Valentine’s Day, I discovered an easy way to make heart shaped cupcakes using small rolled-up balls of aluminum foil. I don’t know about you, but I don’t need [...]